NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

1 ethernet point - Multiple 'things'?

When I move into Uni at the weekend I've got one ethernet point in my room for the internet (no wireless). The internet comes from the buildings own thing (http://www.u-want.com) which supports online gaming etc. If I were to buy a router (wired or wireless) would I be able to set it up so I can get the internet on both the laptop and Xbox?

I don't want to buy a router and then find out it won't actually work. The website says you just plug in the laptop and then follow the on-screen (presumably in the browser) on how to set it up. Is there something which just splits the ethernet connection so I can put 2 things in?

A router would work. A basic, wired cable router shouldn't cost very much at all. It's all about the wireless these days, after all.

Essentially, if that ethernet is running from a server, all you'll need is a 'switch'!

Not the prettiest, or the fastest... but its £5.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/127067

Wait, are you plugging into a phone line or a direct ethernet connection? Because a switch and a router are totally different.

It's an ethernet connection.

Can you get wireless switches?

To be honest i have no idea.

A switch basically choses what information goes where, wireless is certainly possible. Go on ebuyer and search for it.

Oh, I might hijack this thread a little, does anyone know a fairly cheap, decent wireless router/modem. It'll be only used by 3 people and only for broadband. No need for stupidly fast transfer speeds. I just want something reliable and without and extra software. (and any wireless recievers would be useful too to compliment it.) Cheers.

I was under the impression that the differences between a router and a switch were very difficult to define, which is evidenced more by the fact that I would have said Jordan's description of a switch could easily be applied to a router :P

As far as I'm aware though, switches are generally used in big networks where there's like people with Computer Science degrees controlling them. I've seen them in universities, schools, and large office blocks, but never in a home environment. On the other hand, I've only seen routers in home networks, although I once saw a Linksys WRT54G wireless router trying to give everyone at an open source conference access to wireless internet and long story short - there were a lot of angry geeks with no internet.

So, ultimately I would say you're better off going with a wireless router, I recently recommended one of the Belkin wireless routers to my cousins and it's working like a dream. But bear in mind, I had a lot of problems with my Nintendo DS using a Belkin router.

If it's a regular phone line you'll either need an ADSL Modem with an ethernet port AND a regular wireless router, or just a Wireless Router with an ADSL Modem built in.

On the other hand, if it's just an ethernet port in your wall you just need a regular wireless router, such as these ones:

Linksys WRT54GL

Linksys Wireless-N Router

D-Link DI-624

Apple Airport (802.11b/g/n)

I have a switch at home, because my router only has one port on it. You need a switch not a router a router would be pointless surely as you already have an internet connection.

Not sure about Wireless but wouldnt you need a wireless access point rather then a router?

If the thing that provides the internet allows more than one public ip per a connection, then a switch should be enough. If it doesn't, you'll need a router. But a router should work in both cases.

The difference between switch and a router is that a router is used to connect networks together (i.e LAN to internet) and a switch is used to connect computers together. The reason these get confused is that pretty much all routers that you buy for home have built-in switch as well.

And any WLAN access point is essentially a 'switch' (or more close to a hub as all the traffic can be listened on). So if you have a laptop that can act as an access point then you can use it to connect other devices to the internet.

Sign in to follow this