NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stefkov

Mac, Airport and 360 related questions.

A few nights ago my brother suddenly came into my room and told me how suddenly google just stopped working with his mac.

He searches on my laptop for answers and finds it's actually a common problem with quite a lot of people.

I come home from college today and he tells me it's actually something to do with the latest update apple sent out for macs. He tells me he wants to buy an AirPort Extreme Base Station because google will then work on the mac, but Vista might not work on it.

He meant about the wireless so then I told him my laptop is plugged into the ethernet nearly all the time, but tbh I'd be annoyed if I couldn't go wireless.

To my next point. If he were to get this router, would Live work through it? I've had so much trouble with my router as it is, I've finally just set it up and running so now I can host matches. If he were to get this, if anyone knows, would it work fine?

Just to end it, I'm just wondering if anyone has this problem and if they have done anything in what I have said that will give good points to my brother buying one of these routers. For those that probably read all this cheers, although I may not have explained it well.

please don't use this thread for mac bashing. please, otherwise I will hunt you down and spank you with a pickaxe.

My brother had this problem with his Windows PC. He could use the internet fine but not google. We just updated the firmwire.

If you decide to get it then you can always take it back to the apple store or where ever and ask for a refund, or just ask them yourselves.

I imagine that vista will pick up any router, so i think thats fine. But it's weird that he's having a problem with google. Thats the confusing thing to me.

You could tell Apple about the problem for them to fix or ring apple care and see if there's a work around.

Just so random google not working lol

My brother says that loads, and I mean loads of people emailed apple about the problem but they just aren't replying to any of them.

All I want is the xbox to work fine where I can host 14 player Rainbow 6 games. I was just wondering if anyone else had that mac problem and wht they did.

An Airport extreme will work with A Mac or a PC. Google is a web application so there's no reason it shouldn't be working at your end unless your internet is down or something like that it can't have anything to do with the OS your running. There hasn't been any OS update for a while either unless you include the iTunes one which doesn't have anything to do with any of this anyway.

Like Emasher says, Google is an internet application. So if there was a problem, it isn't the OS. Because the OS doesn't know what website you're viewing. Has your brother checked Firefox or Camino to test if google stopped working there? it could be because of the beta of Safari, but I doubt.

An airport (express or extreme) will work wirelessly with any device that wants to connect wirelessly. They're easy to use and control (I have one here and it's pretty good). it isn't accesable as easy to the usual computer hacker (my nephew didn't like it becausse he couldn't just check the info of the router by typing it in explorer). But it's fine and it'll work. It's s standard, you know. It's uses Wifi and any supporting device will be able to connect. And the Wired LAN is also a standard ethernet, so hat shouldn't be a problem either.

The only downside is that it makes your windows box look completely ugly :wink:.

Just a quick note, N standard is backwards compatible with G and B (not A which isn't very common anyway).

Isn't that the N-standard? I thought Wifi came in four flavors: A, B, G and N. Could be my bad, though. But I'm pretty sure, actually.

Sorry I thought you said S in your last post and I couldn't remember myself. *goes to edit last post*

Like Emasher says, Google is an internet application. So if there was a problem, it isn't the OS. Because the OS doesn't know what website you're viewing. Has your brother checked Firefox or Camino to test if google stopped working there? it could be because of the beta of Safari, but I doubt.

He tried it in Safari and in Firefox. Google, Youtube video searches, anything powered by Google will not load for him.

Mine boots in a second so it's not the router, nor the internet.

It's definitely the macs firmware, because he told me other people have had the exact same problem.

Just looking same problem

another one I think

He tried it in Safari and in Firefox. Google, Youtube video searches, anything powered by Google will not load for him.

Mine boots in a second so it's not the router, nor the internet.

It's definitely the macs firmware, because he told me other people have had the exact same problem.

Just looking same problem

another one I think

Okay, but if it really was a firmware upgrade problem, I would have it right now, too. Takeo would have it. O-so-many users would have it. But here's it's only you, and those two on the Apple forums. So I wonder if something went wrong in your firmware update? Because Apple is the last on who would - even accidentally - disable Google. Google is in the end an internet 'application', and for it to load, you need to send a request to google and google sends back. And if you browser loads other pages, it sure should load google.

But yeah, Google is kind-of slow with me sometimes. But that isn't a significant problem - like the one you're talking about... Maybe you should mal steve at [email protected]

Firmware is actually not the OS of a device (except for devices that have very in-complex OSs (such as routers) but the files that tell the device how to access the OS file. OS files are actually Software.

This can't have anything to do with the firmware. And really can't have anything to do with the OS either

Honestly Stef, the fact that you and me have Netgear routers and we have both had the exact same problem seems to similar.

Firmware is actually not the OS of a device (except for devices that have very in-complex OSs (such as routers) but the files that tell the device how to access the OS file. OS files are actually Software.

This can't have anything to do with the firmware. And really can't have anything to do with the OS either

Now honestly, it's not the same, but I tried asking someone who studied IT, and he couldn't explain the difference either. it's very complex to tell the difference, actually. So you can use both terms a little more loosely than you are are implying :wink:.

I just did explain the difference. The difference isn't that complex.

No, actually, that's what I thought at first. But in this modern age, the difference is not that simple. We had this discussion a while ago in the Wii Channels thread, and I asked my nephew later. He couldn't pinpoint an exact difference either, and he studied computer related stuff. The difference used to be that simple, but it's not anymore.

Firmware can be the "OS" of a device (for example, the Nintendo DS firmware is the same as it's "OS" in one sense, even though the DS doesn't really have a "OS"). Firmware is usually what controls the basics of a hardware device, like, the BIOS of your PC. The line between firmware and OS is quite fudgy, and it also depends on your definition of Operating System.

Wikipedia says:

"In computing, firmware is a computer program that is embedded in a hardware device, for example a microcontroller. It can also be provided on flash ROMs or as a binary image file that can be uploaded onto existing hardware by a user.

As its name suggests, firmware is somewhere between hardware and software. Like software, it is a computer program which is executed by a computer. But it is also an intimate and vital part of a piece of hardware, and has little meaning outside of that particular hardware."

Simple!

Yes. It's all on Wikipedia. If you anyone can't get their head around it then, well, they probably never will!

So it was actually something to do with the wireless airstation or whatever it's caled within the mac.

He's got it hooked up via ethernet and was searching google/youtube fine.

Sign in to follow this