N-Europe

I'm furious at Nintendo AS A PUBLISHER...

Dilli Gee

To King V:

If you hate the Wii and Nintendo, go get a 360 or a PS3.

If you want to spend over £400 for a machine that doesn't have a single stellar game and all the AAA titles are flops pick that up. Great investment. Why not pick up a copy of Lair to go with it, a game for this super powered behemoth which has a terrible framerate and is virtually uncontrolable due to the fact the developers tried to use Sixaxis in the same way you would use the Wii-mote.

Instead we'll be buying a Wii for the very affordable price of £170, picking up greats like Zelda and soon Metroid, having a lot of fun with games like Wii Sports and enjoying all the Nintendo greats via the VC.

The Wii has been out less than a year, it's sold over 10.7 million consoles, it's brought a whole new dimension to gaming and re-engaged people who were long lost to games due to the kind of games made for spotty kids with an obsession for teenage boys with spikey blonde hair and oversized swords whilst still bringing the great franchises like Zelda, Metroid and Mario to us long time Nintendo fans.

As a publisher no one stands close to Nintendo, such a long rich history of AAA titles which are still performing today.

Well that's all pretty much true:)

360 is still good though.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got to remember the 360 is in it's second year. Plus Nintendo shouldn't be chuking out games left right and centre now because the Wii isn't really readily available yet. When the sales start to level more you bring out the games to bigger market and stimulate more sales of the system itself. You've got to remember it's all about the money.

At this peroid it's essential they check out as many as they can. I'm talking about killer aps of course but nintendo is competing with halo and many other challenging titles. PLus perhaps Nintendo have realised at this time third parties still are not going to have anything worthwhile available.. they may feel they have to secure christmas themselves and in fairness they have a game for every type of gamer available.

At this peroid it's essential they check out as many as they can. I'm talking about killer aps of course but nintendo is competing with halo and many other challenging titles. PLus perhaps Nintendo have realised at this time third parties still are not going to have anything worthwhile available.. they may feel they have to secure christmas themselves and in fairness they have a game for every type of gamer available.

Why do Nintendo need to put out killer apps. The system is selling astonishly well with Wii Sports. Galaxy can easily go toe to toe with Halo 3. I don't see many other challanging titles for the 360 (BTW I love my 360 so I'm not trolling just putting out there my point of view). I think Mass Effect could very well be the one of the best games of the year I don't think it sell in great droves. I think there are some interesting games coming from Japan for the Wii but they won't start appering till the second half of next year

Why do Nintendo need to put out killer apps. The system is selling astonishly well with Wii Sports. Galaxy can easily go toe to toe with Halo 3. I don't see many other challanging titles for the 360 (BTW I love my 360 so I'm not trolling just putting out there my point of view). I think Mass Effect could very well be the one of the best games of the year I don't think it sell in great droves. I think there are some interesting games coming from Japan for the Wii but they won't start appering till the second half of next year

Nintendo need to keep putting the games out so the Wii doesn't lose momentum. Why do you think it's selling so well? Cause it has software people want, namely Wii Sports and Zelda. It could probably keep selling without anything like Mario or Smash Bro's, but that doesn't mean they should keep all the media attention and hype, while continuing to sell the console by releasing them.

Originally they had to compete with Halo and GTA so I think this line up was needed, however now GTA is delayed it does seem a bit overwhelming. Saying that, alot of the best third party games look to be ready early 2008, so perhaps it's a good thing the best of Nintendo's line up going to be out the way in 2007, it leaves the third parties some room to make $$$$$s.

Assasins Creed and Bioshock? :/

Galaxy and Brawl will out sell them two. I wouldn't say they are killer apps though (I take killer apps to meaning that you'll buy the system to play it). AC is looking a little shakey after it's E3 showing, hopefully it will turn out alright because I love the premise of the title.

Nintendo need to keep putting the games out so the Wii doesn't lose momentum. Why do you think it's selling so well? Cause it has software people want, namely Wii Sports and Zelda. It could probably keep selling without anything like Mario or Smash Bro's, but that doesn't mean they should keep all the media attention and hype, while continuing to sell the console by releasing them.

I never said Nintendo weren't putting out any games I was just answeingr the original post by saying they don't need anything else on top of what there already releasing. Ithink Nintendo have a strong Q4 for the Wii with Galaxy, Metroid, Paper Mario. Not to mention some big £rd party games, ie GH3.

I don't think the Wii is selling because of Zelda anymore (I'm going by American figures here). When your selling 425 000 systems a month and Zelda isn't selling over 100 000 that month then the people buying the system are buying it for another reason other than Zelda

Galaxy and Brawl will out sell them two. I wouldn't say they are killer apps though (I take killer apps to meaning that you'll buy the system to play it). AC is looking a little shakey after it's E3 showing, hopefully it will turn out alright because I love the premise of the title.

I never said Nintendo weren't putting out any games I was just answeingr the original post by saying they don't need anything else on top of what there already releasing. Ithink Nintendo have a strong Q4 for the Wii with Galaxy, Metroid, Paper Mario. Not to mention some big £rd party games, ie GH3.

I don't think the Wii is selling because of Zelda anymore (I'm going by American figures here). When your selling 425 000 systems a month and Zelda isn't selling over 100 000 that month then the people buying the system are buying it for another reason other than Zelda

Zelda's still selling over 30000 copies a week (worldwide), and I would imagine that's pretty much based around new console owners (why would anyone with a Wii not have it already? :/).

To be honest the console is selling off of hype and waggle more then anything, and it's cheap price. Sales have started to drop lately so I guess Nintendo need some killer apps to get the ball rolling again, but with Metroid just released in the US and both DS and Wii set to have their biggest games of the year in the next months, I don't see the Wii being readily avaliable on shelves from Christmas :/.

i'm afraid i disagree that mario galaxy could go toe to toe with halo 3. There is much more hype surronding halo. However smash could very well outsell it if it had on-line play.

Originally they had to compete with Halo and GTA so I think this line up was needed, however now GTA is delayed it does seem a bit overwhelming. Saying that, alot of the best third party games look to be ready early 2008, so perhaps it's a good thing the best of Nintendo's line up going to be out the way in 2007, it leaves the third parties some room to make $$$$$s.

exactly. They also don't want the competition to gain attension. i don't see much happening for ps3 but the 360 has that potential.

I think with the line-up it has here...the likes of super paper mario,mario galaxy and super smash bros among other things like red steel 2(heres hoping) and rayman2 i think the wii should be safe.

Zelda's still selling over 30000 copies a week (worldwide), and I would imagine that's pretty much based around new console owners (why would anyone with a Wii not have it already? :/).

To be honest the console is selling off of hype and waggle more then anything, and it's cheap price. Sales have started to drop lately so I guess Nintendo need some killer apps to get the ball rolling again, but with Metroid just released in the US and both DS and Wii set to have their biggest games of the year in the next months, I don't see the Wii being readily avaliable on shelves from Christmas :/.

How are the Wii's sales dropping? Also how many Wiis are selling worldwide in a week? Must be at least 300 000. So that means out of every 10 people buying the system only one of those people is buying Zelda with the purchase of the system. The means Zelda is no longer a killer app and it means the Wii is selling predominantly to people who aren't hardcore gamers. (Although we already knew that last bit, just trying to prove a point)

Yes it has been selling off of hype and waggle for 11 months. That's what the anti-nintendo people said in the beggining (for DS too) and some people still believe it's true. Well, you believe what you want too if it helps you sleep at night.

i'm afraid i disagree that mario galaxy could go toe to toe with halo 3. There is much more hype surronding halo. However smash could very well outsell it if it had on-line play.

Wow are you saying there will be more than million sales beteen Halo 3 and Galaxy after they both been out for 3 months? Seriously disagree with you but we'll see in January and compare the first 3 month sales. I don't think Halo 3 will sell more than six mill in that time and Mario will easily do 5 mill in it's first 3 months

Yes it has been selling off of hype and waggle for 11 months. That's what the anti-nintendo people said in the beggining (for DS too) and some people still believe it's true. Well, you believe what you want too if it helps you sleep at night.

but he is right.. Why else would it be selling at this stage? for zelda? oh come on.

The ds DID sell for touch for about a year also but then the great games started coming out.

Wow are you saying there will be more than million sales beteen Halo 3 and Galaxy after they both been out for 3 months? Seriously disagree with you but we'll see in January and compare the first 3 month sales. I don't think Halo 3 will sell more than six mill in that time and Mario will easily do 5 mill in it's first 3 months

I'm just taking a guess. I can't be sure what will sell.. i'm only going with what i think. If mario galaxy is promoted properly as the next BIG thing and not a party game or some crap then yes it might... but it has been such a long time since mario 64 whereas halo 2 was only 3 years ago?

I think there is more hype surronding halo 3 but you could be right. After all the wii has a larger userbase now.

well the wii sales WILL drop once halo 3 comes out so they have to be prepared for that.

Why??? The people who are buying Wiis to play WiiSports and have it in the living room for the family to play aren't gonna suddenly go 'wow, look at this game with just gun killing things, lets get that instead'. Like Iwata has said numerous occasions the Wii isn't competing with the PS3 and 360. There is a multitude of evidence out there to prove this point.

Wii sales will go at there own pace and will not be affected by the other two consoles

I think there is more hype surronding halo 3 but you could be right. After all the wii has a larger userbase now.

There is more hype forHalo 3 because it is 3 away, whereas Galaxy is more like 10. Also I think people will have the sense, when they see Galaxy with a single character on screen, to know it is not a party game. Nintend needs an advert the points out SMB, SMB 2, SMB3, SMW, Mario 64 and points to Galaxy being the next in this line of games. There is so much recognition out there for Mario platformer, that Galaxy could sell to a wide audience.

But I am not Nostrodamus, I'm just summising : peace:

but he is right.. Why else would it be selling at this stage? for zelda? oh come on.

Wii has the highest attach rate for a reason, it still sells lots of software. You have Wii Sports and Dragon Quest swords for example. And you talk like there are no other good games for Wii when there are lots.

Look at this part of the Japanese charts for 30 august - 5 September:

01./00. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2007: Club Championship (Konami) - 149,584 / NEW

02./01. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo) - 134,786 / 400,000

03./02. [PS3] Hot Shots Golf 5 (Sony) - 64,093 / 216,000

04./04. [NDS] It's a Wonderful World (Square-Enix) - 33,111 / 110,000

05./08. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 29,088 / 697,000

06./10. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 27,815 / 1,971,000

07./13. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 27,187 / 1,579,000

08./00. [NDS] Face Training DS (Nintendo) - 22,276 / NEW

09./16. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 21,254 / 4,677,000

10./12. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo) - 21,168 / 476,000

11./09. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 14 (Konami)

12./11. [WII] Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square-Enix)

13./17. [NDS] More Brain Age (Nintendo)

14./00. [PSP] Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (Capcom)

15./00. [WII] Endless Ocean (Nintendo)

16./21. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)

17./22. [NDS] Itadaki Street DS (Square-Enix)

18./05. [WII] Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 (Bandai-Namco)

19./29. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)

20./26. [NDS] Brain Age (Nintendo)

21./25. [NDS] Naruto Shippuuden: Strongest Ninjas Unite 5: Decisive Battle at Dawn

Out of 9 home console games, 6 are for Wii. It doesn't matter if they're not "Zomg Halo Killer AAA space marines HD epic 1000 hour" games, what matters is that it still sells games.

Also, according to VG chartz, 24.5 million Wii games have been sold worldwide and this is only taking in acount the million sellers, Zelda is at number 3, while 360 has sold in much more time 33.7 million.

Wii has the highest attach rate for a reason, it still sells lots of software. You have Wii Sports and Dragon Quest swords for example. And you talk like there are no other good games for Wii when there are lots.

Also, according to VG chartz, 24.5 million Wii games have been sold worldwide and this is only taking in acount the million sellers, Zelda is at number 3, while 360 has sold in much more time 33.7 million.

I'm sorry but that seems off. How many million sellers are there? I don't think there are many but if there were 7 each one woud have to sell about 3.5 million to reach that 24.5 million number.

But that means 360 has the highest attach rate as they have both sold just over 10 million?

I'm talking about proportional attach rate, taking in account what they sell monthly hardware and software, totals can't be compared since, 360 has been out for much longer.

I'm talking about proportional attach rate, taking in account what they sell monthly hardware and software, totals can't be compared since, 360 has been out for much longer.

I changed my post off because i missed the bit were you only showed the total number of million sellers. Still though your logic doesn't work. There is only percentage attach rates. I don't even know how proportional attach rates would work!? Totals can be comared you just have to look at the attach rate of the 360 from this time last year.

I changed my post off because i missed the bit were you only showed the total number of million sellers. Still though your logic doesn't work. There is only percentage attach rates. I don't even know how proportional attach rates would work!? Totals can be comared you just have to look at the attach rate of the 360 from this time last year.

Since all 3 consoles have been launched, Wii is the one that sells most software compared to the hardware it sells, you can't really compare Wii/PS3s attach rate to XBOXs at this time last year since they weren't out. This is true for Japan, at least I don't know how's the attach rate in the west.

EDIT: Also, remember this, attach rate lowers as hardware sales go up. Another thing, I'm not arguing that total sales attach rate Wii is the highest it isn't, I'm talking about weekly/monthly attach rate, in order to analyze the evolution of sales. Not that it matters.

To King V:

If you hate the Wii and Nintendo, go get a 360 or a PS3.

If you want to spend over £400 for a machine that doesn't have a single stellar game and all the AAA titles are flops pick that up. Great investment. Why not pick up a copy of Lair to go with it, a game for this super powered behemoth which has a terrible framerate and is virtually uncontrolable due to the fact the developers tried to use Sixaxis in the same way you would use the Wii-mote.

Instead we'll be buying a Wii for the very affordable price of £170, picking up greats like Zelda and soon Metroid, having a lot of fun with games like Wii Sports and enjoying all the Nintendo greats via the VC.

The Wii has been out less than a year, it's sold over 10.7 million consoles, it's brought a whole new dimension to gaming and re-engaged people who were long lost to games due to the kind of games made for spotty kids with an obsession for teenage boys with spikey blonde hair and oversized swords whilst still bringing the great franchises like Zelda, Metroid and Mario to us long time Nintendo fans.

As a publisher no one stands close to Nintendo, such a long rich history of AAA titles which are still performing today.

...Are people mistaking me for the topic creator? Look at my first post - I ALREADY SAID THIS!

Since all 3 consoles have been launched, Wii is the one that sells most software compared to the hardware it sells, you can't really compare Wii/PS3s attach rate to XBOXs at this time last year since they weren't out. This is true for Japan, at least I don't know how's the attach rate in the west.

EDIT: Also, remember this, attach rate lowers as hardware sales go up. Another thing, I'm not arguing that total sales attach rate Wii is the highest it isn't, I'm talking about weekly/monthly attach rate, in order to analyze the evolution of sales. Not that it matters.

Why can't you take 360 numbers from last year and compare them to Wii and PS3 numbers now. It would show the attach rates for all system at the same time in the life ie the same number of months that they would haveall been out!? If you look at the American numbers it is the 360 that sells the most games. I think the attach rate of the 360, over there, is 6 games to every 1 console. Well it is actually the DS that rules Japan. It is unfair to look at the Japanese market.

I think your talking about attach rates for people purchasing there systems aren't you? Because if not I don't know where your coming from with this weekly/monthly attach rate!?

Anyone else see these points or is it just me?

We're always quick to note this is just Wii's first year...But they offer some shortcomings when compared with others. One example can be demos; it wouldn't hurt to try out a few hotly anticipated games Nintendo, but their still slacking in this department. The ps3 is already offering demos in its magazines! whats Nintendo's excuse? All we get are preview vids, nice, but I still can't actually play the game. Its this conservatism that really annoys me.

You've got to remember the 360 is in it's second year. Plus Nintendo shouldn't be chuking out games left right and centre now because the Wii isn't really readily available yet. When the sales start to level more you bring out the games to bigger market and stimulate more sales of the system itself. You've got to remember it's all about the money.

It's also about pacing yourself. Giving up all your AAA titles at the same time actually hurts sales as people only buy one or two at a time and one of your system sellers will suffer at the hands of another.

Also if you give all the honey at once, there's nothing in the pot for later.

We're always quick to note this is just Wii's first year...But they offer some shortcomings when compared with others. One example can be demos; it wouldn't hurt to try out a few hotly anticipated games Nintendo, but their still slacking in this department. The ps3 is already offering demos in its magazines! whats Nintendo's excuse? All we get are preview vids, nice, but I still can't actually play the game. Its this conservatism that really annoys me.

I think we're plucking at straws when we start criticsing over demo disks and the like. I've played Nintendo games since I was 8, I've never had a demo for any system, and it ain't gonna kill me not to have one now, especially as mags are selling less and less and most people are just turning to the net.

Plus, with games mags pushing for upward of £4.50 you can probably pick up a second hand game for a few quid more.

It's also about pacing yourself. Giving up all your AAA titles at the same time actually hurts sales as people only buy one or two at a time and one of your system sellers will suffer at the hands of another.

Also if you give all the honey at once, there's nothing in the pot for later.

I know, that's what I was saying (or meant to say, I don't get my point across well sometimes) It's like toast and butter, spread it out and the taste is better for longer.