N-Europe

Laptop graphics card...

Nucleus

Hi all,

I'm getting a new laptop for school and have narrowed it down to three seperate laptops. I'm trying to narrow them down further through pros and cons etc. but I am a little lost on the graphics cards (just because its for work, doesn't mean I don't want to game :heh:) . I have a choice between the ATI Mobility Radeon X2300, ATI X1450 128mb with Hyper Memory, NVidia GeForce Go7300 128mb with TurboCache and the NVIDIA Geforce 8400M G, External 128MB GDDR2 VRAM. The games i'm looking to play are pretty varied (BF2, Act of War, Civ 4, Sims 2, AOEIII, Guildwars etc.), however, nothing too new is necessary (e.g. Bioshock, Crysis etc.). Could anyone give me an idea of how the graphics cards rank against each other and whether I could play games such as the ones above?

Thanks

My GeForce Go! 6100 is fairly shit, tbh. It doesn't have enough dedicated ram, meaning i have to suffer with everything turned to lowest on 640X480, or buy more ram.

I did neither, i bought a new PC.

Guest Stefkov

I have a GeForce Go 7600 with 512 ram. It's great, Guild wars looks great, CSS ran at 90 fps which I didn't think possible, and WoW works fine.

I have an ATI FireGL 5200 softmodded to a ATI Radeon X1600 with 256 MB graphics memory and 256 MB shared on a Dual Core Laptop with 2.1 GHz and 2 GB RAM and I can't play C&C Tiberium Wars on full details without lag.

I think the games you mentioned should all be playable with quite a lot of details with the ATI 1450 but I'd get the Geforce Go7300. It should be a lot faster than the ATI 1450.

Why not the Geforce 8400 M? Because with only 128 MB RAM you won't be able to play any of the newer games on a decent graphics level because you won't have enough RAM for textures and bumpmaps.

To be honest though try to get a Laptop with an onboard graphics processor, these seldom have heat issues and save that money instead to get a new graphics card for your PC.

I have a GeForce Go 7600 with 512 ram. It's great, Guild wars looks great, CSS ran at 90 fps which I didn't think possible, and WoW works fine.

Yeah thats a quite cood card especially the power features of mobile NVIDIA GPUs are very usefull. It is very comfortable if you are typing text and your RAM/GPU go down a few hundred MHz to save power and stop the fan from running.

Never get a GPU which uses main memory ... never get ATI