N-Europe

1974 Gaming: Sense and ... ?!

Maiky-NiSuTe

by: Maikel de Bakker

1974Gaming.jpg

Well yes, what goes with that line? Some of you might even heard it, seen it on televission or read about it in a newspaper article. Somehow i feel that what i will tell you about today will make them reinvent that line. We were kind enough to be invited into a small office and get the latest scoop about some new development thingie created for the PC gaming industry.

7FP.jpg

As you can see and probably clearly know by know that Phillips has created and used a technology what they like to call Ambian Lighting. Started as early as 1998 they were inventing the technology and it took hold first of medical departments of their buisness. It took the old scenery out of the operating rooms, and in came the ambian lights. The technology works in a way that in special lighting conditions you fell different. You can sense the mood around you. As test have proven for them people were recovering faster then normal when operated in an ambian operating room.

Then came a stroke of thunder to the developers. What if we could do this in our own home? Well, everybody knows what happend next. They created the AmbiLight flat TV pannels. Thus giving us the same ambian experience without the hassle of being on a surgen's table, but with the sense were in some movie theatre. Now enter the guy who will tell us more today about the entire Ambian experience: Dhr. Engelbert van Pelt.

1FP.jpg

Welcome Engelbert, could you please tell us what it is you have for us today, we were very excited seeying the technology at first hand biut we know there is more to it.

Surething, there is way more. Let me start first of by telling you that we have created an even bigger experience for the PC gaming world then what you have seen from us so far for the flatscreen tv's. We ahve created an ambian experiance for the pc which not only works with the lights, but also with the sound, wind and even virbations comming right at you. It's Called AmBX! When we were creating this technology we were going in phases. First will come the main set to be introduced in europe around may. This set will be easy to use, fully ready to be installed.

4FP.jpg

The set works in a way that an installed aplication will transfer any of the scripts provided by games or other programes into the sound, lights, winds and the vibrations coming from the set. It's plug and play with usb. Also as for the power management, it does take some more juice but that comes with the power of the speakers. We will have several versions available for you when we will introduce them. The first set will only include the lights. The second will ad the sound and the third will include the fans, vibrator mat and some games as well. But if you have a good sound system already you can pick up the basic set and a special expension set with only the vibrator mat and the fans. We can advise you to buy the complete set as it completley blew us away when we were toying around with it.

5FP.jpg

Mr. Engelbert how do you experience games, i mean what games do you play and perhaps any other relatives?

Well i'm very fond of racing games and first person shooters, especialy with the fps games the system will make a very big entrence. When you have an explosion on one side you can have the wind blowing from the other. Even my daughter who played with the set is very impressed and she plays the more adventure type of games. Concerning the female gamers under us are they picking the games up more easilly woith this system? Yes i think so. We had a test case showing that the girls and woman showed as much intrest as the guys among them.

Let's talk about the future for a moment. What or how do you think this set will evolve? I think it will grow very rapidly, later in the year we will release a module that people can write their own scripts. The scale of the system will grow bigger, meaning we hopefully will be growing onto the console market as well. Confersations have started with Nintendo and Microsoft, as they have shown intrest in the system. Only sony is holding back at the moment. This in terms will bring the set into the living room as like a home entertainment system. Downside is that we need to find a solution for the fans and vibrator mat. But here is a small prototype..

SORRY WE WERE NOT ALOWED TO POST A PICTURE OF IT

doesn't mean we can tell you that the thing looks like a small engine of a jet plane, which gives very powerfull bursts of air from a decent part away from you. And the size? nothing more then a small milk carton. It's a small step when the bigger system will be developed for the movie industrie to follow with their pictures. The normal viewing range of 180 degrees will be transformed into a full 270 sensing experience.

8FP.jpg

Talking about innovations, will you think that someday we will get one system that does it all, or how do you feel about this? Good question. I think that we will see some decomposition in the market. thi means that we will have apliances that can do more things at once but they don't realy replace the curent things on the market. As for the LCD / Plasma screens, what do you think will work best? At the moment there will be some new screens with ambilight on them with refreshrates of 4 ms as big as 42" but seeying LCD has the more advantage over plasma for gaming i will go for LCD.

6FP.jpg

When can the big audience experience the set? Well first comes CeBit, that's a big opertunity for us to let people sense, feel and hear the set first hand. Off course later in the year we will be at Leipzig at the games convention, seeying as E3 has departed us. Any details about the pricing plan for the set? Yes the basic set will set you back a mere € 199,- and the expansion set will cost about 99.-. The medium set will cost 299,- and the premium with everything included and sample games is 399,-.

Thanx for the interview Mr. Engelbert we will hope to hear from ya soon about the introdution of the set. Thank you for seeying a new opertunaty for the gaming industry.

1974Gaming.jpg

you wont know until you played it.

inmagen: your playing a shooter and your in a building. suddenly you hear some one shoot a rocket launcher on your right front side the light of the rocked travels thwarts you incl the sound. it passes you by a hair and the wind of the missile can be felt suddenly on your far left behind the missile hits something and you see a flash of light behind you followed by the air pressure field and the sound of exploding barrels.

i have played it and i was really amazed by the effect of this new device although i really find 350,- euro for a starter set a bit to much.