NEurope

Its out this week but it depends on when your comic shop gets its books. For the UK I think its either Wednesday or Thursdays now.

For the UK its Tuesdays/most places (I think) and Wednesdays. They're not allowed to sell till Wednesday, but some shops break the street date.

well the stock comes in on Tuesday for a Wednesday sale now, but they aint supposed to be selling today :)

Ah right, I just assumed it was Wed and Thur because in the US it was allowed for Tuesday so i figured it'd take the extra day to get here, like how ours used to just go on sale Thursdays

Yeah we used to (well I say this from the experience of my comic shop) receive them on Thursday + sell as a day late anyway. Apparently Diamond send around people to check release dates aren't being broken, but I seriously doubt that.

if people are breaking street dates (a la FF death of human Torch) then my lcs will sell the comic early

DC News :sad:

As to other creators, James Robinson is already working on a new comic project with several issues written, Amanda Conner has a project in the works as does the previously mentioned Nicola Scott. Phil Jimenez and Scott Kolins are also still working for DC.

You won't be seeing Donna Troy yet in the new DCU, nor the Stephanie and Cassandra Batgirls. They haven't been killed off though, just benched.

No news on Steel, Black Lightning or other Milestone characters, though DC did emphasise that with Mr. Terrific, Static, Blue Beetle, Bat Wing, Voodoo and the new Omac, they do have more titles with ethnic minority leads than ever before. And, yes, that is Katana in the new Birds of Prey.

And I personally don't think they are remotely valid criticisms. Why wouldn't humanoid aliens feel emotions? And not all of them do even! The Guardians specifically don't feel emotions. And there is nothing saying that the aliens don't have slightly differing emotions, but due to fitting in etc/it puzzle/jigsaws into place for blahb;akask;lajbojdb

Your just proved my point.

I don't even get your point.

Edit; Okay I just checked what "Ethnocentrism" means. Jesus man. Get a fucking grip, its a comic book.

Please explain how other living, intelligent humanoids wouldn't be in our own emotions. There are a set of emotions, and we cannot explain anything else....language would be the main difference...I mean...you're talking absolute crap.

(No offense/kiss/etc)

Edited by ReZourceman

I just finished a degree that could rip most, if not all your, preconceptions of the world to pieces. (Srsly though, some African languages don't distinguish between black and blue. It's only in modern Japanese there is a distinction between the colour blue and green. So how a universal space Corp somehow has the exact same homogenous colour spectrum as in The West is laughable.)

However, I have no idea why you're getting so uppety. I'm literally only explaining why it doesn't sit well with me and the day you tell me my opinion is wrong is the day you fail at being a human being.

I already said you like it so that fair's enough. It's an opinion and I completely respect yours.

Edited by Daft

But it's not just a comic book. It's a hobby. A serious part of some people's lives. It's one of the many structures in society that galvanises a lot of what society stands for. It, most likely subconsciously, helps people form opinions and like most other mediums certainly helps naturalise the notion of 'truth'. Hence why Superman is/was used as propaganda.

Nothing is ever 'just' something.

I never said it was "just" a comic book, I said it was a comic book. Its ok to just accept things as what they are in them. If you just dont like the book then fine but everything you are saying just seems like you are completely over thinking it, it doesnt have to be exactly the same as the real world. We arent stupid you know, people cant fly, emotions dont have actual colours that represent them, superpowers dont exist but we can accept that because Its.......A.......Comic......Book

I personally don't think you can apply your argument of (Ethro...ciniti....iscition...) or whatever *lulz* to comparing the HUMAN race to an ALIEN race.

Its not culture, its life.

You're going to have to explain what exactly you mean by that.

What exactly is the difference between the human race and an alien one, for starters?

In fact, what do you think 'race' is?

I never said it was "just" a comic book, I said it was a comic book. Its ok to just accept things as what they are in them. If you just dont like the book then fine but everything you are saying just seems like you are completely over thinking it, it doesnt have to be exactly the same as the real world. We arent stupid you know, people cant fly, emotions dont have actual colours that represent them, superpowers dont exist but we can accept that because Its.......A.......Comic......Book

I'm not over thinking it because that's how I approach everything. It's just profoundly nonsensical to me.

You can't compare the issues I have with GL with accepting superpower as a whole. My issue isn't with the fact the Lanterns have power, my issue is with the structure and the universality it assumes. It's just what I think. I've never gelled with GL and I just worked out why exactly.

....I don't even get what you're saying. You're implying that other alien races don't have the colour spectrum (which is easily explained. There are ring translators, which would translate colours or whatever, in terms of language...and the fact that blue and black are different colours is...fact. Not...interpretable. It doesn't matter that some cultures don't make the distinction. Just like how varying alien races of the corps would have different stages of technology and evolution) and you're saying that they wouldn't necessarily experience the same emotions as us? Which...I just disagree with. Intelligent life experience emotions. They might have a different name for it, and some species or whatever may not feel rage, as the way they were bought up....?

I'll explain it to you when I see you. In short, all these apparently ontological truths are socially constructed (thus making 'truth' mediated locally) and so makes the whole premise of universality feel false.

the fact that blue and black are different colours is...fact.

It's not a fact. Prove it.

When we discuss this in person you'll have to explain words like "ontological" to me though. :p

The Rob Granito Saga Continues

It amazes me the crap this guy just keeps on doing

Oh my god. I didn't even realise the full story of this.

This....is....fucking amazing.

It's not a fact. Prove it.

Because they are not the same. Fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color

Aliens might recognise colours in a different way, but it is a FACT that blue and black are not the same.

Because they are not the same. Fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color

Aliens might recognise colours in a different way, but it is a FACT that blue and black are not the same.

You can't just throw a wikipedia page at me. Especially since it makes many assumptions of its own.

Yes, black and white have different wavelengths but we define them, we pick a wavelength to make blue or black. (In fact, it's arguable that black isn't actually a colour at all; it's the absence of colour.)

Distinctions are there only because we make them. That goes for most/every thing.

They are not the same because the human eye differentiates the light in such a way. What's to say an alien's eye would do the same? A lot of animals' eyes don't work in the same way.

Aren't dogs colour blind? To them colour simply doesn't exist. Factor that into your mythos.

Edited by Daft

Factor that into your mythos.

Once again why should he need to? Its a ficticious comic book world.

Because we're having a fun discussion?...

He doesn't need to do anything. As one of my friends I'd like him to see where I'm coming from. I get where he's coming from. I'm not knocking his enjoyment of it.

Because we're having a fun discussion?...

I wasnt talking about the discussion, I was talking about your views on the world and emotion etc not having to be forced into a universe that doesnt have to be governed by the same rules.

You can't just throw a wikipedia page at me. Especially since it makes many assumptions of its own.

Yes, black and white have different wavelengths but we define them, we pick a wavelength to make blue or black. (In fact, it's arguable that black isn't actually a colour at all; it's the absence of colour.)

Distinctions are there only because we make them. That goes for most/every thing.

They are not the same because the human eye differentiates the light in such a way. What's to say an alien's eye would do the same? A lot of animals' eyes don't work in the same way.

Aren't dogs colour blind? To them colour simply doesn't exist. Factor that into your mythos.

Yeah but they are different things. Whether other alien races distinct them in the same method as us is irrelevant, as the rings translate everything. Also I'm pretty sure a ring could correct colour blindedness. :p

It doesn't seem like a fun discussion... all I see is daft and rez getting slightly more annoyed with each others point of view...

ANYWAY

by the time I come back off holiday I will have missed TWO comic book days! dammit

Whats the worst cross over of all time? (other than Ultimatium)

Daft and I are brothers. I think I speak for both of us when I say we aren't getting increasingly annoyed, rather maintaining a small level. :p

And....Ultimatum. Erm. I need to think about others.