N-Europe

Ever feel like you're about to fall through the metaphorical crack?

darkcloud

Ok so right now I'm really pretty damn worried about the near future.

In about a month and a half, maybe a bit more me and my girlfriend are going to have to move... We've been looking for a council flat for the past 5 months but the government has done nothing..... Our case seems to have gotten no attention.

I've been looking for a job for god knows how long but no one seems to want to give one to me. Seriously I've handed out god knows how many CV's had one interview and nothing came from it.

I have a baby who is currently out growing her small bed. We have a bigger cot but can't set it up until we move.

I'm a student and it seems I can't get any form of benefits due to my loan which I obviously have to pay back at some point....... It seems they see all students as dependents or something stupid like that.

I'm really feeling quite lost right now and don't know what I should do really.

I post this on this forum as there are people from the UK here and hopefully someones gone through something some what similar before.

Seriously any advice would be good around about now.....

At this rate we are going to have to go for a privately rented flat costing god knows how much, but then living expenses........

Yeah, any advice?

I've tried that believe me..... I seem to be chronically unemployable......

My experience in child care (working as a one to one at a playscheme) does not seem to be much help at all.... I would apply to work at a nursery or something, but, just experience in child care doesn't seem to be enough in that area.

From what I've heard from my friends who live in a council flat (similar situation...well they have a child anyway) the council (granted it'll be a different one) are shit. You need to keep pushing them, reminding them, being a persistant bastard until they do something. If they do nothing speak to the citizens advice bearuea (fucking hell I can't spell that).

As far as uni. Don't they waiver some fees or something if you have dependents? It does ask on the application forms if you have one and I'd presume they ask for a reason.

Good luck.

;504261]From what I've heard from my friends who live in a council flat (similar situation...well they have a child anyway) the council (granted it'll be a different one) are shit. You need to keep pushing them' date=' reminding them, being a persistant bastard until they do something. If they do nothing speak to the citizens advice bearuea (fucking hell I can't spell that).

As far as uni. Don't they waiver some fees or something if you have dependents? It does ask on the application forms if you have one and I'd presume they ask for a reason.

Good luck.[/quote']

I've pestered them constantly and I've seemingly made no progress..... Citizens advice Beureau (yeah I can't spell that either o.o)? I'll have to look into that as I've never heard of it before in my life...

Uni, there isn't really any problems with fee's as that's all covered by my loan, but, because I'm a student I can't request job seakers allowence or anything like that. I also believe I can't get housing benefits for the same reason.......

Infact no, the housing benefits part is wrong, that changed when my baby was born.....

I've been looking for a flat sinse before then though and my girlfriend was going to be able to apply anyway so I didn't bother looking into that again.

I've pestered them constantly and I've seemingly made no progress..... Citizens advice Beureau (yeah I can't spell that either o.o)? I'll have to look into that as I've never heard of it before in my life...

Uni, there isn't really any problems with fee's as that's all covered by my loan, but, because I'm a student I can't request job seakers allowence or anything like that. I also believe I can't get housing benefits for the same reason.......

Infact no, the housing benefits part is wrong, that changed when my baby was born.....

I've been looking for a flat sinse before then though and my girlfriend was going to be able to apply anyway so I didn't bother looking into that again.

I don't think the CAB (much easier) are that useful. But they are there for a reason. With my experience with them though (and this is in a small town, London will probably be worse) find where they are, go in the wee hours of the day and be prepared to be there for a long long long time. Still, worth a try. They are there to help apparently.

Website; http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/

Who must make the claim?

Partners of student who are not students themselves, are eligible to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit on behalf of the couple.

The student cannot make the claim.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about btw....... It seems students aren't allowed to do anything for themself and it's really frustrating me. Whilst many couples could both apply for benefits (yes leech etc....) to some degree students are basically screwed to some extent from the beginning. I have just heard about some kind of benefits students can get however and I'm trying to look into them now.

Well if you can't find it phone your local LEA (local education authority. aren't initialisations fun?) and see if they can help, or maybe the student loans company can.

seems a bit harsh. students are trying to improve themself and such and paying through the nose and such but can't get benefits. its almost as if they want anyone with kids to not bother doing anything. kudos to you for trying though.

;504274]I don't think the CAB (much easier) are that useful. But they are there for a reason. With my experience with them though (and this is in a small town' date=' London will probably be worse) find where they are, go in the wee hours of the day and be prepared to be there for a long long long time. Still, worth a try. They are there to help apparently.

Website; http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/[/quote']

So it's typical government run stuff then? I'm going to give them a try either way, hopefully they can infact help.

I know I must sound like I'm just trying to find some way to leech off of the government right now, but, I just want to get to a point where I'm actually feeling secure right now. I'm actually really quite scared as it is.

;504286]Well if you can't find it phone your local LEA (local education authority. aren't initialisations fun?) and see if they can help' date=' or maybe the student loans company can.

seems a bit harsh. students are trying to improve themself and such and paying through the nose and such but can't get benefits. its almost as if they want anyone with kids to not bother doing anything. kudos to you for trying though.[/quote']

I've also found recently that despite fully qualifying for the full grant of £2700 (sepcial support grant) I'm only being given £1000 for god knows what reason. I'm going to have to keep getting onto them about it but so far little has changed.

So it's typical government run stuff then? I'm going to give them a try either way, hopefully they can infact help.

I know I must sound like I'm just trying to find some way to leech off of the government right now, but, I just want to get to a point where I'm actually feeling secure right now. I'm actually really quite scared as it is.

You're trying to look after your family. Its a very mature thing to do.

The "leechy" option would be to say "I can't be arsed to work. I'll have some babies and the government will give me a house" -_-

;504301]You're trying to look after your family. Its a very mature thing to do.

The "leechy" option would be to say "I can't be arsed to work. I'll have some babies and the government will give me a house" -_-

I guess so' date=' maybe it feels more leechy because the government doesn't really want to help to much..... I feel like I'm meant to be able to cope with what I have at the moment and be happy. :-/

Oh and:

Which loans and grants are counted as income?

Your eligibility to claim social security benefits will depend on your personal circumstances, such as your savings and income.

If you are eligible to claim while you are a student, the following will count as income:

* any student loan you are entitled to receive, even if you choose not to take the loan

URGH!

I really don't know at the moment.... I'm doing a whole load of research on stuff right now and they all end up at dead ends..... Either students aren't allowed, I have to be a loan parent, I have to have something else which I'm not able to get or anything else they can come up with.

This is what I mean by falling through a crack somewhere. I hear about all these people scamming the system, but, here I am with tons of worried and I can't even find an opening.

Either way, first thing tomorrow it's back onto the housing office. I feel like if I can get that going in the right way I can build on things.... It will atleast release the fear of London rent....

I very nearly got into the same pitfall as you darkcloud. It was around 2000 for me. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an easy way out. I had to drop out at the end of the 3rd year and managed to find an asian restaurant who will employ me as a dishwasher. Tough with stupidly long hours but I managed to maintain steady income to plan ahead. I was lucky to get a help from an old teacher who got me out of that shithole. I went back to complete the 3rd year and got a degree, and I got my life back.

I'm not saying that's the best way to go, but if you accept hardship (which I did), that's one way to go. Try one of those crap individual restaurants for waiters or whatever else you can find. Many of them seem to be always looking for lower-end staff and it's easier than pubs. Luckily for us there is minimum wage in the UK. They tend to give you cash, so no tax involved. I earned over £1000 a month doing that, but it was tough.

What about fast food like McDonald's or cash till at supermarkets, what did they say? If you are that desperate, you have to do something while you keep buggering your council to help you. Talk to your persona tutor at college and see what sort of options you have with them. You may very well have to drop out if it's that serious. I did.