N-Europe

Self-teaching Flash?

Gizmo

I'm interested in becoming some kind of programmer, computer science course or something similar at univerisity. Right now, thats a few years away still (I'm 15) but I would like to get some sort of experience, something that I can do. Flash is the thing which I've seen which looks like fun - I'm sure we've all seen the stupid animations on ebaumsworld and whatever. But how tough is it to self teach? Would I manage it with a couple of online tutorials and a bit of hard work during the summer, and get to a competant level of making these basic stickman animations?

Also, what sort of resources am I looking at getting to do this? Any specific programs for it that are better than others? Anybody know of any good guides?

Infact, has anybody else tought themselves?

Thanks guys.

By the way, if the mods would prefer this in creative or tech help, go ahead and move it. I wasn't sure where to put it.

Guest Stefkov

I would've thought this better to be in the Tech or Creative.

I was thinking the exact same thing earlier when I was looking up courses at Huddersfield Uni.

I don't know whether to go down the programming or design route.

I wouldn't mind teaching myself some programming. In fact I have a friend who taught himself a lot. (I think he told me he was learn C++...¬.¬) By that I mean his VB6 (not great) program is so much better than anyone else's in the class. And I mean lot better.

I taught myself Macromedia Flash and it's petty damn easy. When it came to a multimedia course for one of my A Level pieces I aced it with an A. A for Ace! Yaaaaay! did a presentational e-portfolio for David Wood Art (actual artist) in Flash.

I would've thought this better to be in the Tech or Creative.

I was thinking the exact same thing earlier when I was looking up courses at Huddersfield Uni.

I don't know whether to go down the programming or design route.

I wouldn't mind teaching myself some programming. In fact I have a friend who taught himself a lot. (I think he told me he was learn C++...¬.¬) By that I mean his VB6 (not great) program is so much better than anyone else's in the class. And I mean lot better.

Please don't go for VB. It's impossible to implement high-end, optimised features akin to those in C++.

I started teaching myself flash, i ahve a little issue though, i got the enwest, ADboe Flash CS3, all the tutorials are set out for the old, Macromedia flash, some things are a lot different. So you might want to think about which version you get too.

Guest Stefkov
Please don't go for VB. It's impossible to implement high-end, optimised features akin to those in C++.

I don't want to go for VB. I hate it.

I was searching around today in my 'Graphics' lesson for Flash tutorials and came across Java ones. I think I might teach myself Java.