N-Europe

Civilisation Revolution

Retro_Link

Really? I found Civ IV to be easy enough to figure out without a manual. If you just ignore some of the interface elements until you figure out why you might want to use them, its not hard at all. In my first play through it felt almost like I was being guided through the whole thing.

There's no tutorial or proper guide on civ 4 thus far. Just little notes saying "you could do with such a such in this city". There's absolutely loads of elements in civ 4 compared to revolution and countless menu options and configurables. It's really quite daunting to anyone who who hasn't played civ before.

Like I said before, just ignore the options. Just play the game on the second easiest difficulty (fewer barbarians, less likely that war gets declared on you, ect.) Build the buildings and units that are recommended for you to build. Set workers to automated, ignore religion, don't declare war on anyone who's anywhere near you power wise, don't purposely piss off the other civilizations. After you play through the game a few times, you'll start to use more and more options as you find out what they do.

It might not be as simple, but its really not that hard to learn.

Quite like Revolution. It's got the same old Civ problem though, how on earth can Knights take down a Panzer? I mean come on! It's a freaking tank vs a bunch of dudes with swords! Still, fun for a portable game. Prefer the Total War series on the PC.

Like I said before, just ignore the options. Just play the game on the second easiest difficulty (fewer barbarians, less likely that war gets declared on you, ect.) Build the buildings and units that are recommended for you to build. Set workers to automated, ignore religion, don't declare war on anyone who's anywhere near you power wise, don't purposely piss off the other civilizations. After you play through the game a few times, you'll start to use more and more options as you find out what they do.

It might not be as simple, but its really not that hard to learn.

I learnt how to play it just from trying stuff out and I was about 15 then. So I don't think it is difficult at all. Can't remember if it was Civ 4 or 3.

Yeah when I was a lot younger I tended to play around with one or two games at a time pretty much due to lack of funds to buy anything else. Now I seem to have so many games I really don't have the motivation to properly learn a complex strategy game. I get what people are saying in that the basics aren't too difficult but there's still a he'll of a lot of things to build and to understand on the pc version versus revolution. Accessibility has been a winning factor for me.