N-Europe

Need advice on capture cards

Pancake

Ok i hope someone can help me here - I want to be able to get clips from tv/games/dvds/etc onto my computer to use in projects. I need a capture card, right? But will capture cards be compatible with my oldish tv? My tv is about 10 years old. And would i need anything else to get the clips onto my computer?

A capture card doesn't connect to your TV, so its age doesn't matter. In fact you'll greatly struggle to get your TV stuff onto your comp as most TVs don't have video out. Most cheap ass capture cards have a composite-in and an s-video-in so you need to be able to hook up your devices to these ports.

TV = Tough/Impossible unless you mean freeview box, then it'd be easy peasy to get a scart to composite lead/adaptor.

Games = Just find a cable with composite on the end.

DVDs = Don't use a capture card - rip them using a ripper and then cut the clip from the dvd on your hdd.

etc = anything with a composite/s-video/scart output should be usable with the right lead.

That's with just a cheap £15 PCI capture card. Some of the more expensive ones may have an RF socket and/or Hig Def sockety port things, or other stuff.