NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Does anyone know where I could find a program to...?

Firstly, it's gotta exist somewhere surely, I'm after something that could scan my drive and identify redundant copies of files, ie more than one of the exact same copy. Maybe also two files with the same name, or files that are similar enough that one may be redundant.

Secondly, a free video capture program, that can capture off a camera on my computer. That sounds vague, and it is because I'm not exactly sure how it's connected, as it's kind of actually built into the laptop, but let's pretend it's through USB for now.

I guess this could actually be turned into a general thread for people looking for something to do something a bit obscure, but they just can't find it.

This is going to annoy me so much now, i had a program that did the first one a few months back but can't remember what it was called!

I'll get back to you

Have you tried using windows movie maker for the video capture? It should be on start->programs or start->programs->applications->entertainment (or if you are lazy like me, hit winkey+r and type moviemk and hit enter) Then hit ctrl+r and see if the camera is listed as a capture device.

Nope, tried that and it didn't come up with it as a device. In fact it told me that I have no device. I know it's there, and I know it works, and I assume that I should be able to capture video from it! It's an Acer Orbicam, and I'm still convinced it runs through a USB connection somehow, though it's all internal like.

Properties on My Computer > Hardware tab > Device Manager.

Make sure that it is listed there with the latest driver. If it isn't listed there then it will have a yellow exclamation mark next to it and you need to install the driver.

Easycleaner. Thats the program i was trying to think of, should sort the first of the 2

Easycleaner. Thats the program i was trying to think of, should sort the first of the 2

Thats pretty handy, thanks.

Y'know I hate to always bring this up, but why is google so neglected by some? I googled: find duplicate files and got plenty of results....

Y'know I hate to always bring this up, but why is google so neglected by some? I googled: find duplicate files and got plenty of results....

I wonder that all the time. Half the answers i give are found in 5 mins using Google!

Properties on My Computer > Hardware tab > Device Manager.

Make sure that it is listed there with the latest driver. If it isn't listed there then it will have a yellow exclamation mark next to it and you need to install the driver.

That's the thing, it IS installed and I know it works, because there's some Acer orbicam software that lets you take pictures off it, so it definitely works, I just can't find anything that I'd be able to use for video capture off of it.

Thanks for the Easycleaner McPhee!

Try Virtualdub. File>Capture AVI. Then Device, and choose your device. If the video doesn't show turn on preview (under video) and preview acceleration for both fields.

Ok thanks, I'm gonna try that and if it still isn't working I'm just gonna give up on the thing, it's not as important as all this damn hassle. Thanks for your help everyone.

Sign in to follow this