NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Platty

Digital Camera recommendations

Hello good people of the fourm, Im thinking of investing in a digital camera and wondered if you had any recommendations for me?

Im looking to spend anywhere in between £100-£200

Looking for around minimum of 7 - 8mpxls

Has to have optical zoom minimum of 3x

Has to be able to record video and capture good sound

A good size.

Apart from that im open to what you guys think are good cameras

Just to add I have been looking at this samsung one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S1050-Digital-Camera-optical/dp/B000NIZUTU/ref=sr_1_16/202-8850655-9475069?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1180986271&sr=1-16

What do you think?

Thanks.

My Mum just bought the Canon Powershot A750 IS, very nice bit of kit. Was reading up on it just before she bought it and general opinion on camera forums was good + it was recommended as a camera for people starting out with photography and wanting to learn more

Cost £200 from a local indie store, minus £50 cashback from Canon. You can get it cheaper on the net, think Empire Direct has it for about £170 (not sure if the £50 cashback is still going though, might have expired end of May)

026-9042279-7883604?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1180987713&sr=1-1

Amazing camera, fantastic price for 8MP, 4 times optical zoom. I own it and its great, worth every penny.

This Samsung! Get it while its half price!

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0963967122.1180988858@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccckaddkmlefflicflgceggdhhmdfhk.0&page=Product&fm=9&sm=0&tm=0&sku=940714&category_oid=-30997

10 million pixels

3x Optical Zoom

Impressive 2.7" LCD Screen

5x Digital Zoom

12 Shooting Modes

ISO Range 50-1600

SD Memory Format

AA Type of Battery

Motion Picture Recording

Thanks for your input guys, I have been looking at all the cameras you suggested. Im liking the look of the samsung ones at the moment.

Hmmmmm what to do.

For the price of that Samsung one, have a look at the Sony T-series. For example, this.

Why anyone would need 7-8 megapixels is beyond me, unless you're planning to take pictures that you can use to make billboards with. I have this samsung and love it, and got it a bit cheaper from a marketplace seller for 'slightly damaged box' (the damage was negligible and nothing inside the box was affected, I recommend doing that if you can, with whatever you go for :D)

That cam is kind of for the sake of portability and style though, so your choice may be better - depends what you're going for. Plus the one I listed is not the newest model anymore. Anyway since mine is a Samsung like the one you're looking at, I can at least add that I love my camera and think Samsung make good stuff :)

Why anyone would need 7-8 megapixels is beyond me, unless you're planning to take pictures that you can use to make billboards with. I have this samsung and love it, and got it a bit cheaper from a marketplace seller for 'slightly damaged box' (the damage was negligible and nothing inside the box was affected, I recommend doing that if you can, with whatever you go for :D)

That cam is kind of for the sake of portability and style though, so your choice may be better - depends what you're going for. Plus the one I listed is not the newest model anymore. Anyway since mine is a Samsung like the one you're looking at, I can at least add that I love my camera and think Samsung make good stuff :)

I wanted 7-8 mp otherwise I may aswell have stuck with my mobile phone.

Optical zoom was more important to me and im happy with my 5x.

Im starting to get into photography you see and didn't want to splash out on something too fancy if I don't keep it up so to speak. Living in London provides me with lots of great photo opportunities!

I'm very happy with my choice :)

I would actually highly suggest the Casio line of digital cameras. They are nice and all, and REALLY full of awesome features.

If you want manual controls over shutter and apperature, take a look at the Casio Z850. That is what I have.

If you want manual controls a lot of zoom (7x) and a high quality H.264 movie mode, look at the Casio V7.

If you want a small really awesome small camera, look at the Casio S770. It has nice MP4 widescreen videos, a nice 2.8 inch widescreen LCD.

They are all packed with awesome features. If you don't need the manual controls, I would really go for the S770.

You can view the cameras at these links, and if you want talk to me over IM. :yay:

http://www.exilim.de/euro/

Edit: Ugh... I didn't know you already made the choice. Sorry. Hate to tempt you with amazing cameras that you won't be getting now.

I would recommend you to go for the Nikon, Nothing can beats its quality.

I am using one from past 2 years hasn't been bothered yet.

Once I lost my pictures from memory card but I get them back by using Stellar Phoenix Digital Media recovery software.

Since then there is no trouble with the camera. It has 5 megapixels; 3x optical zoom ; Movie mode with sound; JPEG file format; Auto focus and exposure; 2 AA batteries; Secure Digital Card storage (7MB internal); 2.0-inch LCD.

The best I afford at that time.

I wanted 7-8 mp otherwise I may aswell have stuck with my mobile phone.

Megapixels certainly are not the most important part to increasing image quality. My old camera was 2 megapixels but could take pictures that would blow a 3.2 mobile phones camera away, because of their crappy small sensor. Unless your printing massive pictures 7-8mp is simply a waste.

I recently bought a 6mp Nikon D70 and it's simply brilliant. Unless I start printing out massive A3/A2 sized pictures out i don't need any more MP.

If anyone else is thinking about getting into photography at a budget price, I'd recommend Fuji FinePix S5600. Great price, amazing camera.

Amazon Link

Flickr Link

________

N54

Edited by fex

Sign in to follow this