NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Bluejay

ISP Blocking P2P?

As of about 2 or 3 weeks, no torrents will connect to any seeds or peers and Limewire will not connect to the network at all.

My assumption is that my ISP, Tiscali are blocking P2P stuff somehow. Is this assumption correct and if so, is there anything I can do about it?

I can no longer acquire my public domain audiobooks and it is annoying me.:wink:

I don't see why they would, as they'd lose customers to other ISP's who don't block it. Downloading is a major thing for a lot of people, and if they knew they were being restricted most wouldn't hesitate to switch. I have no idea what it could be though.

wow! thats a surprise!

I wonder how much they are being paid and who it is thats paying them to block it? Can't see any other motivation for them to do it

wow! thats a surprise!

I wonder how much they are being paid and who it is thats paying them to block it? Can't see any other motivation for them to do it

I think ISP's are supposed to be stamping down on illegal downloading these days.

They do it to stop over use of the bandwidth. A small fraction of heavy users are always hogging most of the bandwidth, almost always for stuff like P2P sharing of T shows and movies. I think this is just the latest in a string of measures to reclaim bandwidth for the majority of non-heavy users. No such thing as "unlimited" broadband folks. You just don't get something for nothing.

It's no surprise - ISPs want you to pay them money and they also don't want you using all their network resources. Easy solution = clamp down on P2P.

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs

I'm sure you can get around it by encrypting your traffic, or something like that

I think I did that in uTorrent. I think it might be enabled by default, if I'm on the same wavelength as you.

Another thing, my mum has a Tiscali email address, If we cancelled our Tiscali broadband would she be able to continue to use the email address or would it be shut down. Its [email protected] and she recieves mail through Office Outlook.

Sign in to follow this