N-Europe

Naruto stole from Hunter X Hunter and Yu Yu Hakusho?

Ok, it's pretty simple, I was at the gamefaqs board message for Jump Ultimate Stars and someone started a topic on "wich is the game's most worth watching anime?" and off comes an infinite stream os posters, like 9 or 10 PAGES full of like 200 different people saying that whichever it was, it wasn't Naruto, because Naruto "borrowed" everything from Hunter X Hunter and Yu Yu Hakusho.

And I mean, I was actually convinced, since almost everyone there was saying that!!

Eventually the thread got a bit out of hand because some naruto fan was being "assaulted" by the angry posting mob and they closed the thread down.

Is there any fan of those series present that can clear it up for me? Does it really steal from those two series?

Does it really matter?

I mean, Naruto is propably far more influenced by Akira Toriyama´s mangas (Dragon Ball, Dr. Slump..) since Masashi Kishimoto was a huge Toriyama fan when he was a kid. A manga like Hunter X Hunter, which started running about one year before Naruto (1998), can´t possibly have had the same kind of impact as Toriyama´s work had.

I´m not a manga expert or anything but that´s just what I´d think...

There's an anime thread for talk of,shall I say,anime?

What Twilight said is true aswell and there will always be people who say "Such and such stole from such and such"

There will always be similarities between anime and people will begin to rant how they stole from other anime.

I'm not unlocking this or anything, but in Naruto's defense both animator's of the first link were doing an homage to a Bruce Lee film, so both of them were "stealing", Cowboy Bebop didn't do it first.

The animation in the second link was by an animator called Norio Matsumoto who does some of the best fight scenes in anime anywhere, almost singlehandedly. He's well known as a big fan of Chinese/American kung fu movies, so that was blatantly an homage to a fighter he was a fan of.

As for Hunter X Hunter and Yu Yu Hakusho, why not just read them and judge for yourself?

In reality 90% of anime borrow, steal or pay homage to other series around them, especially amongst shonen. Then there is the concept of intertextuality, which suggests that everything has been done somewhere and our mind creates new media out of everything we've seen before. I don't see why it's a big deal anyway, as long as you enjoy the show.