N-Europe

Servers.

Caris

Rightyoooo.

I am building a new PC with my old parts and a few new bits, basic specs are gonna be-

[email protected]/3.8

2gig 6400

Asus mobo

7600gt

Windows XP

2x200gig hdd's

i want to make this into a server, it will be connected wireless to the interweb.

Only problem is that i have NO idea what to do.

Help please.

Guest Jordan

Okay, you don't need that kind of power. You really don't.

Sell off any parts you currently have, all you'll need is around what i have:

Pentium 3 1ghz

512mb SDR Ram

Motherboard with ethernet, onboard graphics

Wireless card

VERY good server case (I use an Antec).

Now the upside is, since the server will be on 24:7 i presume, you can run the CPU with just a heatsink and have slow case fans doing your cooling. You may however want a cooler on the HDD's since they'll be running fairly non stop.

Hope i've helped.

Guest Jordan
Server Case?

And also will 2x200gig Hdd's be ok?

I really have no idea about severs' date=' also can i use windows xp?[/quote']

My case:

01.jpg

Antec 1080 AMG. I think it has a different name in the UK though. Anyway, as for your HDD's you might wanna get a small drive (no more than 20gb) for booting Windows off and yes, Windows XP Pro is suitable for any home server.

Since you can run everything through Remote Desktop, which is built into Windows. It requires some rather complex doing to it, like sharing internet connections, sharing HDD's and such. I can talk you through it all once we get the thing built though.

Why don't you try something different and install linux on it? Then setup samba for it and you have a working network file server :)

It requires a bit more time, but it might perform better than xp.

Guest Jordan

But if he's never used Linux, its just something else to get used to, nevermind setting up all the networking side of things.

But if he's never used Linux, its just something else to get used to, nevermind setting up all the networking side of things.

That's kind of the whole point, to learn something new. But I guess if he doesn't see computers as a hobby, then he'd be better off doing things the easy way.

Generally right now I would say setting up a server is a bad idea for you! It seems you still lack the basic knowledge for it.

What do you want to do with your server? Should it act like a router? Do you want to setup a www/ftp/email/smtp server?

Also if I understood that correct it will be like:

Internet - Wireless Router - YourServer

That isn't really good for the above mentioned applications. Furthermore you should think about the fact that if your server is online 24/7 security is a big issue without Linux.

Guest Jordan

That isn't really good for the above mentioned applications. Furthermore you should think about the fact that if your server is online 24/7 security is a big issue without Linux.

Oh come on, thats bs.

Windows XP SP2 with full updates and a decent firewall is completely fine. I've had mine running for just under a year now with zero problems.

Oh come on, thats bs.

Windows XP SP2 with full updates and a decent firewall is completely fine. I've had mine running for just under a year now with zero problems.

I agree with you. But if he intends to run a http server, a ftp server, internet radio, .... he has to open more ports, keep care of a lot more software, need to configure it the right way.

Also if a server runs 24/7 with the same IP it is more likely be discovered by other people. I wouldn't call that bullshit at all...

Guest Jordan
I agree with you. But if he intends to run a http server, a ftp server, internet radio, .... he has to open more ports, keep care of a lot more software, need to configure it the right way.

Also if a server runs 24/7 with the same IP it is more likely be discovered by other people. I wouldn't call that bullshit at all...

I don't think he had that in mind.

My server basically keeps my networks and my files in one place, i assume he'd be doing the same thing.

I want a server for one reason.

Knowlage.

I want ot learn about them, starting with my own little basic one.

Then I would start with a dualboot system. Linux and Windows (hardware - do as you please) and start with the application you want to start first. Read into it, allow only local access and after that start testing it with friends (username/password) and once you think you are ready you can run it as long as you want.

For http daemon I would suggest Apache and FTP RaidenFTPD - just make sure you know what settings you use before putting it online. Nothing is worse than someone spying on you, crashing your computer or someone using your computer/internet connection for illegal activities.

It always seems so easy to make a computer safe ... Firewall, Antivirus but the biggest problem is always the user who missconfigured the computer or just relies on Windows/Software/Provider.

Guest Jordan

Jeeze you two, if he doesn't want it stop pushing it on him. Its like the whole 'get a mac' thing.

I dont want linux.

Well that's just stupid, you say you want to learn about servers but you don't want to learn about the server operating system. That's like saying you want to get a degree but you don't want to have to go to any lectures.

Linux is actually really easy to learn these days, especially if you've just got basic brand name hardware. The main problems these days with Linux is hardware support and with the amazing number of drivers in the latest kernels, the only real problems are webcams, TV cards, ATI graphics cards (I think, though they might be ok now) and other strange USB peripherals. Also, if you have a pretty new motherboard (i.e. released within the last 6 months) then you may run into some problems, although those are pretty easy to fix most of the time and of course it's all free.

Ubuntu Linux is really the best distro if you're just starting out in the world of *nix, on the Desktop and Server sides. Best of all, it's got the best community out of any distro I've ever used, http://www.ubuntuforums.org is really awesome and they have a pretty active IRC channel.

Also, what exactly do you want this server to do? Host websites? Host files? Act as a router? Act as a firewall? Be used as an email server? IRC server? The possibilities are endless...

Anyway, my point is that if you want to learn how to run a server, you will try Linux, if you don't then I can't help you.