N-Europe

Router Routing Wrongly

Ashley

Heres a bizarre sitch.

Three computers. Mine, Dick and Beavs. Mine is connected to the router through a wire, as is Beav's. Dick's is wireless. Alone all our computers work. If me and Dick are using them, they work. If anyone and Beav tries to use their computers the internet crashes.

I've tried moving the Rj45 into different ports and resetting the router and all that a few times.

Ideas?

Heres a bizarre sitch.

Three computers. Mine, Dick and Beavs. Mine is connected to the router through a wire, as is Beav's. Dick's is wireless. Alone all our computers work. If me and Dick are using them, they work. If anyone and Beav tries to use their computers the internet crashes.

I've tried moving the Rj45 into different ports and resetting the router and all that a few times.

Ideas?

Maybe they have conflicting IPs, try to put each PC on DHCP server, so every time one of you logs in, you're given dynamic IP address.

You use static IP's? the reason the internet doesn't work might be because there are IP collisions. Just a thought.. Though Windows usually gives you a little box in the bottom right corner alerting a IP collision.

Edit: oh.. I see Shino wrote basically the same I did... but here's a quick picture guide on how to make your IP Dynamic. (Don't get confused by the Norwegian system language :smile: )

First you need to check if the router has a DHCP server and enable it, then go to the network settings of each PC, choose IPv4, and click on properties, set everything there to automatic. Restart your PC and everything should be fine.

First you need to check if the router has a DHCP server and enable it, then go to the network settings of each PC, choose IPv4, and click on properties, set everything there to automatic. Restart your PC and everything should be fine.

Right. Checked the "DHCP Client List" and it only has mine listed.

Going to connection type and it has automatically selected Dynamic.

Have I done that part right. Will sort out the other computers in the morning.

Just wondering, could it be because the problem computer is connected through wired and making it wireless would help? Tried before but his computer was too slow (Check "Ram upgrade causing nothingness" if you feel like helping) and keep meaning to sort that out first.

Hm, strange problem indeed.

If Dynamic was already selected/marked on your computer, then your computer is not part of the problem (if IP conflict/collision truly is the reason for the internet crashing.)

Check the other computers tomorrow and if none of them are using static IPs, then thats not the problem.

And I doubt the wireless/wired part has anything with it to do.. I cant see why that should be a problem, but if you have a non-costing way of checking it, do so just to be sure ^^,