NEurope
Stocka

Baten Kaitos Official Thread

Just got this game recently and so far it's really great!!

but i just need to ask;

Is there a way to tell which element type enemies are when you fight them for the first time?

It's obvious with some enemies (those that are on fire for example), but with others? For example, i'm now at the city of the clouds and the two enemies you meet on the cloud pass (the tiger and the griffin type enemies) how are you supposed to know what would be most effective against them in battle. Because it's a cloud area, i could guess that they are maybe wind or light based enemies; but how are you supposed to know?

- I've just remembered that the background of an enemies card may give it away? (i'll check when i go on the game later), but even so, this wouldn't help you the very first time you fight an enemy because you don't have their card!

Also is there any way of knowing how much health an enemy has?

Also, can you return to the first castle at any time later in the game because I unlocked the room with Xelha in, but not the second locked room!

Retro, I hope so. I need to head back there and give some cheese do a chick in the kitchen so she'll sign the Famil Tree and go back there.

Retro, I hope so. I need to head back there and give some cheese do a chick in the kitchen so she'll sign the Famil Tree and go back there.
Oh yeah! I'd forgotten about the people in the kitchen; yeah I need to get stuff for them aswell! so yeah you must be able to go back later on!

Thanks!

(*bump*)

Mine arrived yesterday and I've played a little since, but I loose a lot (this card system is awesome but also feels like a limitation, at least at the beggining, I healed my enemies a couple of times already, so I don't really know how to use my cards and make a deck well... Not being able to use healing/defending/atacking items at the same time by menus or browsing the deck is a letdown, although that isn't turning me off, from the game, it's just not for anyone, dificult to get into.

but still great game, it's hard, but that may be rewarding later on... but it takes a while to get used to.

The battle system improves more and more as it goes on. You'll see.

Congratulations on getting it pedro :smile:

Im with Stocka on the congrats I feel everyone should play this game as its so refreshing. Once you start to get some decent cards and learn how to combo them you can do massive damage and destroy all in your path mwhahahahahahah!

The battle system improves more and more as it goes on. You'll see.

Congratulations on getting it pedro :smile:

Im with Stocka on the congrats I feel everyone should play this game as its so refreshing. Once you start to get some decent cards and learn how to combo them you can do massive damage and destroy all in your path mwhahahahahahah!
thanks, infact, after a few more hours of game, my opinion changed almost completly, I started leveling up, and got the hang (for now) of the system and... well, I was dying for stupid reasons, one minute I was dying all over, the other I passed the forest path to the city without any pain. leveling up helped.

*spoiler*

It seems to have some plot holes though, when Xelha finds his friends dead, and kalas robs them... that's it, after that kalas returns to the village talks about what happened to xelha but... there's no mention to those two, two people dying is not worth reffering? (not to mention they died with one whip, when kalas and xelhas took like fifty of them.)

*spoiler*

In the opening FMV the old woman sounds strange, alot more strange than in the original trailer, the ending voice with "now be what you want to be" also sounded better on the old trailer, I'm still getting the hang of it, but it's still one one the best voiceactings i've heard in a game (I heard some pretty bad ones).

What do you guys think of this game? how does it fare next to most RPG's this generation on the other platforms? I for one i'm enjoying it a lot, and think it holds it's own... but I'm right at the begining of the game.

I don't like to compare different RPGs as I love most of them differently. ToS and BK are so great in different ways its ridiculous to compare them. And the woman is freaky isn't she :heh:

I don't like to compare different RPGs as I love most of them differently. ToS and BK are so great in different ways its ridiculous to compare them. And the woman is freaky isn't she :heh:
You're right, but I like to compare things :p this RPG is like no other I've played before though, thus the learning curve increase, I didn't felt this in a RPG for a while, I've gotta give it credit for that.

And that woman is completly freaky :shakehead

(playing now) awwww, I love the characters artwork in the dialogs, so much better than CG *shrugs* ^_^

*spoiler*

It seems to have some plot holes though, when Xelha finds his friends dead, and kalas robs them... that's it, after that kalas returns to the village talks about what happened to xelha but... there's no mention to those two, two people dying is not worth reffering? (not to mention they died with one whip, when kalas and xelhas took like fifty of them.)

*spoiler*

This gets explained later in the game but I think its a sidequest. If I remember rightly to get the explaination about those 2 guys you have to keep the Memento card until it changes into another card then hand it to some certain people. I cant go into without spoiling it for you.

I personally love the opening FMV of the game. I watched it many times just for the final saying of " Now be wanted you want to be " or words to that effect.

Lastly Pedro have you altered the sound output of the game? Just many did, myself included, as the voices seem to have an echo on them.

This gets explained later in the game but I think its a sidequest. If I remember rightly to get the explaination about those 2 guys you have to keep the Memento card until it changes into another card then hand it to some certain people. I cant go into without spoiling it for you.

I personally love the opening FMV of the game. I watched it many times just for the final saying of " Now be wanted you want to be " or words to that effect.

Lastly Pedro have you altered the sound output of the game? Just many did, myself included, as the voices seem to have an echo on them.

I'm now at 23 hours and 40 minutes of game, at the beggining of disc 2 (changed the discs at about 22:30 playtime) and it's looking awesome, but I'm now stuck at that battle against Giacomo, really hard boss. (I don't know if I'm taking to much time on first play, but enjoysing every second of it)

I still can't believe how good this game is, the critics clearly underrated this one, so far I'd give it at least a 92% and maybe consider even a 96% (out of 100%) really... a awesome game. Even the voice acting although not perfect (gotta hate Lyude and some non-player characters) it's quite good, enough to be listened to. (unlike other experiences I had in the past).

As for the sound I didn't meddle with it, just plugged it over a subwoofer and it's quite perfect :)

It's a shame the scenes perfectly made in FMV shown at the beggining are made in-game, they would be perfect otherwise, as the trailer has a poetry and knew how to catch the most "catching" phrases in the game.

Now... back to the game... I wanna beat Giacomo's ass :D

Glad your still enjoying and playing the game. Lots of people seem to dismiss this game purely because of the card battling system but that is what makes the game so unique. More people should open their minds and their wallets and buy this game.

it's a great game especially when you get further into the game and you get some awsome attacks.

as you can see from my top 5, I rate it very highly. Tales of Symphonia just edges it for me because It's got better voice acting and better characters.

it's a great game especially when you get further into the game and you get some awsome attacks.

as you can see from my top 5, I rate it very highly. Tales of Symphonia just edges it for me because It's got better voice acting and better characters.

Ok, I've been seriously stuck on this one for two days now. The thing is... I can't beat Giacomo, Folon and Ayme battle, I'm at level 22/23 on all characters and I don't even know if it's possible as is :'( really hard battle, any hints on what I can do now?

I'm using Kalas and Gibari for atacking, because they can also use weapons as shielding, and using mizuti for magic (although he is always the first to die, due to healing :X) I normally store items for healing on him, not using them right away, that gets on the way, because he is systematically atacked various times in a row, and I always try to spare the healing items.

I'm afraid of killing ayme and folon and be left with Giacomo because he must have some pretty draining attacks...

heeelp ^_^

Ah the dreaded 3 some battle. Alot of people get stuck on this purely beacuse they are under levelled or havent got the best of cards fortunatley for me I did as I knew the battle was coming :D

Best thing I can suggest is to take out Folon and then Ayme as these 2 are the weakest characters also Folon does some high attacks so get him out early. Just concentrate on him then Ayme and leave Giacomo til last. If you are still having trouble use 2 characters to attack while giving all your healing cards to your fastest player leaving them to heal every turn.

I got stuck there too :D

I remember taking out in this order:

Ayme->Folon->Giacamo

And I learnt all their weaknesses etc. to always use the right cards. I can't remember the weaknesses though.

Hey I don't hjave this game yet.. I'm currently lookin to buy it relatively cheap.. it's next on my list but I have a few other games to play first.

Anywhos, I was wonderign how long it roughly takes to complete first time round? I like long RPGs. Also is the story better or worse than say ToS or Skies of Arcadia? Are there many twists? I alays like those.

I reckon I should like it.. the card system put me off in the first place but many say it's one of the games best features. I prefer Skies... to ToS.

Hey I don't hjave this game yet.. I'm currently lookin to buy it relatively cheap.. it's next on my list but I have a few other games to play first.

Anywhos, I was wonderign how long it roughly takes to complete first time round? I like long RPGs. Also is the story better or worse than say ToS or Skies of Arcadia? Are there many twists? I alays like those.

I reckon I should like it.. the card system put me off in the first place but many say it's one of the games best features. I prefer Skies... to ToS.

Definately buy it, don't be put off the battle system is class.

And yeah theres lots of twists, I don't know how to compare the stories of the 3 really but its unique, get it :smile:

And yeah its pretty long, around 40-50 hours I think

Definately buy it, don't be put off the battle system is class.

And yeah theres lots of twists, I don't know how to compare the stories of the 3 really but its unique, get it :smile:

And yeah its pretty long, around 40-50 hours I think

Or 300 odd hours if your as crazy as me and want all the cards!

Or 300 odd hours if your as crazy as me and want all the cards!
/tries desperately to steal Hero-of-Time's memory card in a attemp to spare 250 extra hours in the game :grin:

I just got a recent copy of Nintendo Power and Baten Keitos II is featured in it.

The article says that Nintendo itself will publish the game in America (maybe in Europe too). The game is a prequel to the original and it will have more plot twists than the original.

Some pics depict some levels looking like they were made out of clay. Some other pics looks amazing too.

Some characters that made it to the original game will be in the prequel too. Some will have a personality "evolution" towards the finalized characters we knew from before.

Looks interesting! :yay:

This is some incredible bumpage of this thread, Im sorry if it causes any problems... but it shouldnt, right?

I got back to this last night, it took me a couple of fights to get used to the system again but I seem to be cooking again. Im up to the library section, I picked up in the town before with the festival happening. Id been trying to put up with the voicing but come on like, Queen Corellia sounded like such a robot! Anyway, its a lovely looking game and Im enjoying it quite a bit - trying not to rush it which is what I seem to be in the habit of doing with RPGs.

Ill be back with more updates on my progress as I go.

Hey iv got this game too ^_^ o wow...lol

errm anyway i havent played it for a while exams n all...but i really like it, only thing that sorta annoys me is the wooden voice acting, it sorta stops me from getting into the game more than i would like.

But so far fun and addictive.