N-Europe

Graphics card fan screwed?

Guest Jordan

Guest Jordan

Although i'm replacing my current machine soon, i do plan to keep it as a back up system.

However, the X800 Pro thats currently in it, appears to be quite screwed. The graphics card fan makes a clunky, grating sound as soon as you turn the machine on, this has been going on for a while, not just recently but its getting far worse.

I took the card out of my machine and its definitly the fan, even when you spin it around with your fingers you can hear the sound. It is incredibly loud.

Has the fan gone? Anyway i can quick fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Jordan

Right, i kinda half fixed it. Its only slightly grating now at high temperatures.

I basically went WD40 on its ass, took the fan and cooler completely apart and cleaned it all out.

Guest Jordan

Looks like i celebrated too soon, it started to heat up and the noise came back.

I ordered a cheap Zalman cooler from ebuyer for £12.

Those zalmans should be easy to install. The one I got for my radeon9700 was pretty nice. Actually I'd like to have that card on this pc but I can't because this motherboard doesn't have agp support. The 9700 I had performed better than this 7600GS.

Does anyone know where I can find a guide to installing a graphix card? Is it difficult? Cos' I'm starting to get fed up with the stock cooler on my X1800, which is like having a scram jet on your desk.

I think it's pretty hard to find a generic guide because there are so many different graphics cards out there. But There's one on the zalman website, just click on the "how to install" and select vf900-Cu LED.

And it was pretty easy to do with the instructions that came with the cooler.

http://www.zalman.co.kr