NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
MasterYoda

Help me connect two PCs.

Right, I want my PC to be in LAN with my brother's, but I don't know how to set it up. We have been connected before, but my PC needed to be formated so that's why I need to do it again. I plugged in the cables, and ''Local Area Connection 2'' appeared. However, something's wrong with it. Here's a picture:

lanfr7.jpg

Can anyone help me with this problem, because I really dunno what I need to configure and where?

You need to run Network connection wizard, you'll find it in your control panel. Run it on both computers, the primary (one hosting the internet) first.

my educated guess is that you have to give them fixed IPs.

to do so, you have to open the network connections (i'm translating the names of the places/registers so it might be called different). right click on the connections, properties. scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), highlight and again properties. then click on "use following ip-adresses" and give it a number i.e. 192.168.0.1 and a subnetmask 255.0.0.0. do the same at the other pc (but with a different ip, i.e. 192.168.0.3) and you should be able to connect them.

to do so, you have to open the network connections (i'm translating the names of the places/registers so it might be called different). right click on the connections, properties. scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), highlight and again properties. then click on "use following ip-adresses" and give it a number i.e. 192.168.0.1 and a subnetmask 255.0.0.0. do the same at the other pc (but with a different ip, i.e. 192.168.0.3) and you should be able to connect them.

I'd suggest you use 192.168.1.1 on one pc and 192.168.1.2 on the other. And use subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

0's and 255's have special meanings in ip addresses so I don't recommend using them on a computer's ip address.

Thanks for the replys guys, our PCs are now connected. Is there anything else I can do other than play games and transfer files from one PC to the other?

Thanks for the replys guys, our PCs are now connected. Is there anything else I can do other than play games and transfer files from one PC to the other?

Do you already share an internet connection with the other pc? If not, thats possibility.

What he said. Keep in mind that if you just want to share files or printers with windows, you don't need to assign IPs. It's good as is if that's your only objective.

Aside from sharing files, printers and network gaming, you can do remote assistance between the pc's and control each other.

Sign in to follow this