N-Europe

Laptop + Wine = Not Good! (help!?)

conzer16

So we were all sitting around the tv in total despair after France pushed, no walked, through Ireland's defence for the win in the rugby today, and my Mam was on my sister's laptop checking out hotels in Castlebar or somewhere.

She had a glass of white wine on the arm of the chair, when she rocked forward to get up (reclining chair) and the wine spilled all over the keyboard of my sisters laptop.

Now she had just turned off the laptop, so I took it off her and tried to dry it as best I could. I took off the keyboard, took out the hard disk, battery and dried as much of the internal bits as I could using a dry cloth and some warm air from a hair dryer.

The Screen wont turn on any more, the keyboard doesn't work at all, it just randomly types "2" and "4" whenever it feels like, and to make matters worse, in the last few minutes, it won't turn on at all at all.

Is there anything I can do to try rescue it? It's barely 4 months old and is in pristine condition otherwise.....

Let it dry out completely. Put it next to somewhere warm. You probably shouldn't have turned it on as it could still be a bit damp inside.

I would actually leave it a few days before trying it again, as you don't want to fry it completely.

Unlucky, it sucks when stuff like that happens. :(

Let it dry out completely. Put it next to somewhere warm. You probably shouldn't have turned it on as it could still be a bit damp inside.

I would actually leave it a few days before trying it again, as you don't want to fry it completely.

Unlucky, it sucks when stuff like that happens. :(

Cheers Moria. I'll leave it for a few days next to the radiator so.

I just feel bad for her really, all her uni work is on it and I know how pissed off I'd be if I lost all my uni work. Good thing is though the tard disk still works and I did put it into mine to see if her stuff was still on it, so at least she still has it, but the fact she cant access it is annoying!

Also, the data on the harddrive might not be totally lost.

Try getting it into another laptop and back everything up if it's that important.

Good thing is though the tard disk still works and I did put it into mine to see if her stuff was still on it, so at least she still has it, but the fact she cant access it is annoying!

Any luck with this, conzer?

Yes we got it repaired!

Was a pricey job though, new motherboard, new keyboard, new screen amongst others. So it's all in perfect working condition now and all her data is fine.

I had taken the hard disk out and put it into mine anyway to see if it was all good and luckily nothing was lost.

The most expensive bottle of wine my mam has ever drunk though!