N-Europe

PC Problem, Help!

Garden_Pigeon

Hey,

Just recently about 4 out of 5 times when I turn my PC on, theres this strange sound that sounds like a fan (or it really sounds like a reef blower of sorts) struggling to work and its real loud, I've opened it up and all the fans are moving properly. When it does this noise I just turn it off and after a few tries it runs quietly. Anyone know whats wrong?

Thanks in advance

Probably the graphics card, you can test this by powering up the system while the case is open and very gently putting your finger in the center of the fan. To just slow it down, not to stop it. If the sound changes, you've found the faulty fan.

If you decide to try it bear in mind that the circuits are live and you might shock yourself by touching the wrong places. And don't blame me if something gets screwed up :)

Thanks, I'll check the graphics card later. I tried to play some game and it said my graphics card wasn't good enough (needed nVidia 2 or above) and I have a 6600... Im guessing my GC is faulty then... I don't have a warranty either :(

EDIT: I tried holding the graphics card down slightly and it made a click sound. I thought I broke it but now I'm getting the good ol' normal PC sounds. Thanks people.

OH, and, can anyone tell me how I can check if my nVidia graphics card is actually installed, I knew how to do it way back but I can't remember now. That game that should easily run on my PC but its still saying "Your video card appears to be GDI Generic, which this game does not support" Anyone know what that means?

Thanks, I'll check the graphics card later. I tried to play some game and it said my graphics card wasn't good enough (needed nVidia 2 or above) and I have a 6600... Im guessing my GC is faulty then... I don't have a warranty either :(

EDIT: I tried holding the graphics card down slightly and it made a click sound. I thought I broke it but now I'm getting the good ol' normal PC sounds. Thanks people.

OH, and, can anyone tell me how I can check if my nVidia graphics card is actually installed, I knew how to do it way back but I can't remember now. That game that should easily run on my PC is still saying "Your video card appears to be GDI Generic, which this game does not support" Anyone know what that means?

Calm down, just do what the good folks here are advising, that is an all other problem.

Edit: Go to Start>Control Panel>System> Hardware (tab)> Device manager (or something like it)

Now see under graphics card and check if yours installed.