N-Europe

My router has died

Tom

I left my router (netgear WGT634u) unplugged for a week, went to plug it back in again and it wouldn't power up.

Initially i assumed the power supply had broken, but I bought a new one today and that doesnt work either. However, I dont know how the router could have broken being untouched and disconnected for a week, it had been sitting in a drawer for a good 4 months before, and was fine when i went to use it again.

any idea how i can recussitate it, as it can't be actual physical damage to the router.

You should check the support page on the manufacturers website, as it could be a faulty unit. If it's under warranty replace it. These things aren't that uncommon. One sony vcr model had similar problem where it worked as long as you kept it plugged. But if you unplugged it and then plugged it in again it wouldn't work (it was because of a manufacturing error). And I think I have heard of a similar thing happening to a router.

Did you match the power supply with the old one accurately? Also, as basic as it sounds, did you make sure it was plugged into the router properly? I had trouble with my router recently, and went and bought a new plug for it then thought it wasn't the plug because it wasn't working still. Turned out I hadn't pushed it all the way into the router properly.