NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Cynicism and Optimism

I typed out a reply to this topic the other night after I'd had a few, then wasn't sure whether to post it or not, because I didn't want to seem like one of those pompous people. I've changed my mind, and do want to seem like a pompous person!

Prepare yourselves for a longish post, this is part of my philosophy on life, it'll sound a bit pompous, don't hate me for it.

I was once of the opinion that we are in general a selfish race, we are innately selfish and self interested due to evolution and biology and self interest of survival. Personally, I have yet to find a situation in which something has been done with a truly selfless intent, and I doubt such a thing exists. We will not do anything we truly do not want to, no matter how we may try to make it appear so.

However, having said that, I believe individuals can be exceptions to the general whole of selfishness, to an extent.

Life is in itself quite ironic and full of contradictions, thus are humans, and also this post, so forgive me. I find that it's the saddest people who tend to spend most of their time bringing short-term happiness/entertainment to others. The 'Jokers' as it were, the clown, everybody's fool - The one who entertains, and everybody loves for it, but nobody really stops to think about the person underneath it all. You'll find alot of comedians out there have been very successful, and then fallen by the wayside, been cosumed by their own personal demons. You may also find that alot of comedians make good actors, it's because they spend most of their time acting the jolly joker, when whilst they jest on the outside, they're wilting on the inside. Having said this though, there's alot of relativity in life, it's all relative. You can't be happy until you've been sad, and vice versa. It brings me onto the point of life as it is, and death.

Death, the way I see it, is the end of life, and what not enough people live for. Do you live for death? I do, I hope. Too many people are scared of death, scared to die, but theres no point, death is, like Smith said, an inevitability.

I don't think you can live until you've come to terms with death, and the fact you're going to die, the fact that you'll die tomorrow! Of course, you probably won't, but it's bloody well possible. You could get mowed right down by a bus, and until you realise, truly realise, that you could die tomorrow, you won't live fully. I'm not scared to die, at least I don't think I am, Death to me is a shadow, it follows you everywhere, it's dark, but it's harmless, it's just a part of the way things are. Eventually, Death will get you, and when it does, it is your time, and you have no say in it. It's all about control.

So here it is, my main point, Control. Life is about control, learning when you have it, when you don't, and to what extent. People fret and worry about all sorts of things, but the sort of things they normally get worked up about is something they have little control over. Why get worked up about it? It makes no sense, you have no control, and you can't change it! It's like worrying about the past. Forget the goddamn past! Shape the future by learning from the past, but don't wish to change the past, it's a futile wish. We don't take the risks, such as asking out that pretty girl, because we're worried about that short term problem that might arise. What about the long time problem of the lasting regret for the rest of your life? What if you get knocked down by that bus next week? I don't believe in the afterlife, I'm not sure what I believe, but what if time does slow down, what if your life does flash before your eyes? What if there is an afterlife? What if you see that you missed that chance at happiness and realise you didn't need to? Admittedly, given the logic of no afterlife, it doesn't matter either way, as you end up dead and non-existant at the end of it. Life shouldn't be about the end or the beginning, it should be about the journey. Forget the future, forget the past, think about the here and now and nothing else, live in the moment and you will have a good and enjoyable life, possibly. I'm only 19, I don't really know what I'm talking about. Then again, what about the 12 year old who thinks they're in love? Most people would say they aren't, I say if that 12 year old thinks they are, then they are. It shouldn't matter beyond that person in themself.

Back to the point, optimists are people who are either too naiive to realise how cruel the world really is, or people who know and have come to terms and are therefore prepared for the ups and downs(prepared for the fact that when things are bad, they will get better, and that most of the time something good won't last forever, and thus they cherish it while they can).

The pessimists are just the bitter, angsty people who have been stung by life, but can't get over it due to the fact they dwell too much on the past, and have little faith in the future. They're people who can't get over themselves, and haven't quite realised how much they can, or cannot, control and influence their own futures. This is my opinion. Thank you for reading.

To quote myself from Christmas Eve; "I should stop being surprised of being dissapointed by people." Maybe that can be my new years resolution? I think its because I am very giving and will put my butt on the line for my friends, and I expect that, perhaps too high, level of generosity in return.

I always expect to be dissapointed by people but at the same time I always have cautious optimism. Over the past couple years I've felt isolated simply because I would make an effort with friends around but they wouldn't recipricate to anywhere near the same degree, and so I felt kind of neglected and so I just accepted this as a personality fault I had. Now I've started Uni and have a different group of friends and things have changed for the better at the moment, and hopefuly from now on! Ulitmatly I now don't expect anything from anyone around me any more, if something needs to be done I will do it myself simply, quoting House 'Everybody lies.'

This probab;y doesn't make much sense at all, its quite tricky to explain...In the end I try not to depend on other people unless I have to, but then again I'm still I'm still trying to figure all this crap out.

I'm always telling people that I hate everyone. And this is true to some degree...but not entirely, I don't think there is anyone who is made up of entirely optimism of pessimism, you need both to be a well rounded person. Not everything is black and white that way.

Sign in to follow this