N-Europe

Safari browser problems

Eenuh

Alright, so I have both Safari and Firefox on my laptop (Macbook) here. Thing is, Safari only works at school, while at home I can only use Firefox. I guess that's problem number one. Anyway to fix it so I can use both browsers in any location?

Now the bigger problem right now is that I only can use Safari in school, but all of a sudden it keeps asking for my name and password on like every new page I open. Also, some pages it just won't load anymore, like http://www.nintendo.be and even NE (only shows half the page, but doesn't want to load the news items). I haven't checked many other sites yet to see which work and which don't, but the fact I can't see those two is annoying enough.

Now I don't think I changed any of my settings, so I have no idea what the problem is. Anyone have a clue?

Is everything up to date? If you haven't done so, it's always a good idea to run Software Update — under the Apple icon menu in the top left — just so you can be sure you're dealing with contemporary software. You can find FireFox's update option under its Help menu.

Could the problems with Safari at school be a network issue? Or is it asking for your login details to your Mac as opposed to the institution's network?

What's stopping you using Safari at home? It's quite possible the two problems are related.

(If you need to take any screen captures, you can use ⌘-Shift-3 to save a snap of the screen to the Desktop.)

Well, I ran the updates but not much seems to have changed. Safari still refuses to work properly. It hasn't asked for my login and password anymore though (I think the ones to the network; although they're the same as my laptop's...). I also got it to load the N-Europe site, even though it took at least ten minutes for it to load everything. Loading emails on hotmail and gmail didn't work all that well either. It would either take several minutes, or just not open at all.

I don't get what's causing the problems really. I kinda wish I could just use both of my browsers in both locations, but I don't know what's causing it to not work that way.

i think its a permissions issue.

are you an admin or standard acount.

the password thing anyway.

i have no clue what this is about.

could you post a screen shot (using a program called grab that you should already have installed) of what happens when you try to open safari at home.

you could try re-downloading it from apple.com

Just a standard one...

Edit: I don't even seem to be able to open the admin account since I don't have the password (they set up all this stuff in school)...

And when I open Safari at home, it just has a blank screen for ages, saying "making contact with "whatever site I'm trying to open", and then after a while it says "Safari can't open the page because the server doesn't react anymore."

And I guess the same happens with Firefox in school.

the password thing anyway.

i have no clue what this is about.

could you post a screen shot (using a program called grab that you should already have installed) of what happens when you try to open safari at home.

you could try re-downloading it from apple.com

You could just take a grab by pressing Apple Button + Shift and ze number 3.

I can't think of a particular solution myself but just wondered if you have checked out the Apple support discussion forums at http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Thats usually my first port of call regarding any mac related problems and there are some very helpful and knowledgeable people around there.

A quick check on the Safari section indicates that the latest security updates have caused some issues , although this obviously won't solve the Firefox problems.

Eh, I'd check all that now, but my laptop stopped working. It seems to be stuck in slumber mode and won't start again. I can't turn it off either. >.<;

And Moria, where would I be able to find those disk permissions (once this laptop works again)?

Edit: got it restarted (thanks Nintendork!); now to find out about all this other stuff...

Click on Spotlight and type in "Disk Utility"

Then click on your hard drive at the left hand side and go to repair disk permissions.

Seeing as everything is set to Dutch on my laptop, I can't find this thing. Yes, I'm kinda stupid (especially when it comes to computers).

A friend (Macbook too) can use both browers in school, but can't use firefox at home, only safari... this is all strange stuff. =/