N-Europe

Overheating problem

Wolf

A fan on my motherboard started making a horrible noise, so I had to disconnect it. Later, I found it was broken. With that one gone, I had to install two new case fans (if that's what you call them).

But it wasn't enough. I opened up my computer once more to find that the small fan on my graphics card was full of dust and had died completely (even after I cleaned it). And with no more fans and no more of those connectors (where the fans are powered from), I took the cover off my computer.

And still, it's not working. If I try to play World of Warcraft, the thing heats up so badly I have to restart. I'm looking into buying some new fans, but how can my computer provide power for them when it hasn't got any free power connectors?

And I need to work on my computer language :heh:

EDIT: My older brother mentioned some cables I could buy:

http://www.microplex.no/rubweb/varer.asp?ARTNR=DI4PA

I'm still none the wiser.

Guest Offerman
The problem is that there aren't any left, or, as I should say, none that are reachable without very long cables.

Hmm, then the adapter your brother recommended is the best option.

Guest Offerman
And you wouldn't happen to know what I'm supposed to do with them?

Yea, there molex connectors. The large four pin bit plugs into one of your spare PSU connecters. Once you remove your case you will recognise them, as the ones that plug into your HDD's and CD and DVD drivers. The small bit obviously goes into ure fan.

I see. Well, with my computer opened up and all, I turned one of the fans so it blows cold air into the computer rather than hot air out. However, when I turned my computer back on again, the screen wasn't working. I spent ten minutes trying and failing before finally giving into a steadily rising temper, whereas I punched the computer.

The joke's on me. I turn it on again and suddenly, my computer thinks I've plugged in a new RAID-controller (wth that is) and finds it can't install it properly. Then I boot up WoW and get a message saying the hardware's been changed and that I should restore the original settings.

Then I go to Control Panel --> System only to find that my processor speed has DROPPED! Yup, all the way from 1.83ghz to 1.09! Furthermore, Google Talk, Gmail Notifier and MSN Messenger aren't working. I'm scared.

Guest Offerman

What could have happened is your BIOS sensed a dangerous increase in temperature and throttled back - common practice in todays computing. As for the software thats probably related to the random RAID controller. RAID if your interested stands for Redudent Array of Inexpensive Discs. Its basically the protocal for stripping or mirroring together a group of hard drives which are seen as one large hard drive. Which is either stripped for speed, or mirrored for backup-ability. Anywho I digress...

It would seem the only solution for the heat is to purchase some more fans and use those molex connections. I assume your CPU fan is spinning? The large fan ontop of the heatsink on the top left of your board. If thats not running then switch orf your computer right away - and I'd advise against running it again until you repair that, because thats very critical, and chances are your computer wont last very long at all without that. After you have the cooling problem undercontrol then we can look at the software, which incidentally might go away once the CPU returns to stock speed, because XP might think you have a new hardware configuration which it doesnt like.

A fan on the motherboard? Is it about an inch in diameter? If that's the case, that's probably the Northbridge fan - I had one on my Abit NF7-S V2.0 motherboard, but I dumped it and put a Zalman heatsink on it. Works brilliantly and doesn't make any noise - it's a big chunk of copper, so if it makes a noise, I know I'm definitely in trouble.

Guest Offerman

You can almost definitly get away without active cooling on the Northbridge, which is why I get annoyed when motherboard companies, naimly Abit put a fan on it because its just added noise which we don't need.

If its CPU then you would know because it would give chronic instability - and in things like P4's and highly overclocked Athlon XP's its unlikely the machine would even boot.

A fan on the motherboard? Is it about an inch in diameter? If that's the case, that's probably the Northbridge fan - I had one on my Abit NF7-S V2.0 motherboard, but I dumped it and put a Zalman heatsink on it. Works brilliantly and doesn't make any noise - it's a big chunk of copper, so if it makes a noise, I know I'm definitely in trouble.

Hey, you know what, you're correct. I think we have the exact same motherboard. I just unplugged it because it was making a sound like car accident.

As for my CPU fan, it's still running. For a while, I was afraid that fan was making the noise, thankfully, I was wrong.

My computer didn't shut down because of the heat, I turned it off myself because I didn't enjoy it reaching 58 degrees celcius. The mouse and keyboard connectors on my motherboard are very loose - it's hard to connect them. That's why I can't turn on my comp from time to time, the screen won't turn on because the pc isn't registering the mouse as being connected.

I didn't even bother with the fan - I read some reviews of the motherboard before I bought it, and ordered a heatsink at the same time. The exact heatsink I got is the Zalman NB32J. It should only cost like a fiver wherever you order it from, and it's piss easy to install. You will need to take the motherboard out though. Or take both sides of the case off, that might work.