N-Europe

Serious Firefox Problem....Help Needed

conzer16

I need some help trying to get Firefox working on my laptop again.

It was working perfectly fine this morning, when all of a sudden it just hangs when I open it up. Every time I open up a window it hangs. I have to open Windows Task Manager to "End Task" and my laptop shudders under the memory strain.

I uninstalled it, removed it completely from my computer, then re-downloaded the installer and installed it again.....but the same things happens.

I then visited Mozilla's support page (via IE) and it told me to delete the history.dat file in the Profile folder, so I did that....and nothing. Still hangs.

I'm not the most technically literate person, but I know a System Restore can usually help things sort themselves out, so I performed one, and lo-an-behold the same old story. It hangs on opening.

What in God's name is wrong?

I think I had this problem once... system restore will no doubt work but you might want to try completely removing it first (not just uninstalling)

Try this guide http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_Firefox

I did remove it completely.....

I uninstalled it, removed it completely from my computer, then re-downloaded the installer and installed it again.....but the same things happens.

I was on that site earlier, thanks Shorty for the quick response.

Ah sorry man, just that I'm quite sure I had the exact same problem and I think the only thing I did was double check that I had deleted every single relevant folder. Unfortunately it was several months ago and I can't exactly remember my solution :( It might also be a problem with something else you're running, avast antivirus web shield, something like that? (avast are great but they don't half have problems with incompatibility) Otherwise I guess go for the system restore.

It might work but a little risky. Uninstall, goto do register (Start>run>regedit), then do CTRL+L and search for Firefox, then delete every thing it comes up with. Keep doing it (F3 will help) until there's nothing related to it. Use common sense, don't delete anything that doesn't seem related to Firefox.