NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Tony_Montana

Nintendo to Spend $200 Million on Wii Marketing to Battle Sony

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aHmN0wRpsctw&refer=home

"About 80 percent of advertising for Wii will target adults in an attempt to expand the video-game market beyond children and teens that have been Nintendo's traditional market, said George Harrison, the company's senior vice president for marketing. Nintendo will spend the $200 million during the next 12 months."

Wow.

Just... Wow.

Is Nintendo finally getting their marketing act together? I guess it doesn't really affect me, I'm already buying a Wii, but... Any news is better than no news, I suppose.

The more important question is: will they pull it of? And not ,spend the money on the wrong things? But finally the Americas have gotten a date for their marketing, so I'm expecting ours to start the 3rd of December. And Nintendo is spending £10,000 in the UK alone, so I hope Europe isw getting the same budget. But we'de settle for less, say 190,00 euros?

Nintendo's attitude of marketing the thing when it's very nearly released is a Good Idea. Having people ask if NFS Carbon is out yet a month before release is a pain, just because EA decide to start the advertising so early.

I figure they're going to advertise these Wii Tour things as well as individual games on TV. Zelda especially. If they can give us an epic advert like Ocarina of Time I'm going to die of joy.

For a reminder of the epic/controversial Ocarina of Time advert click here. The only game adverts I have seen since then that gave me the same wow feeling are the San Andreas one and the Kingdom Hearts trailer in a cinema.

Seems Nintendo really like that part of Riddle of Steel/Riders of Doom.

This figure was stated over a month ago. Why are people still surprised?

I'm glad Nintendo are on the advertising train; looks like Reggie is waving his magical (if slightly puggy) fingers again!

Nice move. Nintendo are realising that a concept like Wii needs to be heavily advertised and they are going about it the right way.

$200 million worldwide would better not mean $120 million for the USA and $75 million for Japan again.

Sign in to follow this