NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
That Guy

Downloading radio shows?

I recently discovered the Ricky Gervais radio show on the XFM website, and there is a section of them you can download, but only the very last series. I wanted to downlod the rest of them so I've started downloading a torrent of the whole lot.

I'm just wondering if this is illegal or not. I don't download music and tv shows because they are obviously illegal and so this is something I avoid, but I wasn't sure on this. Because I can listen freely on the website, so is it ok to download from somewhere else?

Well in theory, the content is paid for by advertisments.. so you shouldn't have to pay for it.

Just do it man, I wouldn't worry. As long as you don't intend to profit from it then I'm sure you'll be okay.

I've been holding out for a decent mp3 player with a line in so I can record radio shows more often (eg. Zane Lowe's mix-tapes)

Unfortunately Apple and Microsoft don't seem to care.

I'd say it was most likely illegal. They're the copyright holders and if they're not offering the download then it's probably not legal.

With adverts it should be legit.. end of the day you're taking the time to hear their messages.

If adverts have been cut out then so should the music. Which is otherwise known as a podcast.. and is totallly legit.

Not if the copyright holder says you can't. Adverts don't make a difference, it's the copyright holders ability to decide whether you have the option to listen to their stuff or not.

listening to the radio is free so these should be legal.

its also leagal (at least in canada) to download games movies music ect. if you already own them. for instance i own tales of symphonia so it was legal when i downloaded the sound track i just can't listen to them and play the game at the same time. (unfortunatly my dad got a 30 gig i pod and put them on it so now i cant play the game when he has i t on shuffle mode)

just dont sell it and you'll be fine.

i just wonder if you put them into itunes would it be under podcasts or music.

remember radio is free

listening to the radio is free so these should be legal.

its also leagal (at least in canada) to download games movies music ect. if you already own them.

Well it used to be like that here too. You were allowed to have six backups of the original. But now it's illegal to convert your own audio cd's to mp3's to use on your own mp3 player. Not so sure about rest of the europe though...

But I don't see the harm in downloading a radio show. As they really don't even make money by broadcasting it.

Sign in to follow this