"New Round" - 3:26

"Dark Star" - 3:45

"We Dance Alone" - 3:57

"No Complaints" - 3:00

"1000 BPM" - 2:30

"Motorcade" (Beck Hansen/Nigel Godrich) - 4:15

"The Information" - 3:46

"Movie Theme" (Beck Hansen/Nigel Godrich) - 3:53

"The Horrible Fanfare" (Beck Hansen/Nigel Godrich)/"Landslide"/"Exoskeleton" (Beck Hansen/Nigel Godrich) - 10:36

"Inside Out" - 3:43 (UK Bonus Track)

"This Girl That I Know" - 2:43 (UK Bonus Track)

Album: Beck

The Information, INTERSCOPE

Reviewed by Andy Gill

Published: 29 September 2006

For his new album, Beck decided to have what might be called an interactive CD cover, in that it comes packaged in a white sleeve accompanied by a sheet of stick-on symbols and images with which the listener can create their own unique sleeve design. It's an idea that echoes the way he makes the music on the CD, picking and choosing from a range of sonic images and combining them to see how agreeable a design he can make with them.

In the case of The Information, the results are very agreeable indeed. Coming after last year's Guero, it's the first time Beck's made two great albums in succession since the heady days of Mellow Gold and Odelay - and all the more surprising given that previous collaborations with producer Nigel Godrich have resulted in some of his least agreeable works, the pallid Mutations and maudlin break-up album Sea Change. This time, they seem to have found a much more effective balance between those albums' bland folk-rock stylings and the bohemian oddball hip-hop/indie crossover with which he's more commonly associated. So while some songs may seem relatively straightforward, with observations like "think I'm in love, but it makes me kinda nervous to say so", elsewhere the surreal flows of imagery test the boundaries of semantics in the nicest way, as in the chorus to "Motorcade": "We're all pushing up the tin-can mountaintop the smokestack clouds in glory attached" - which just about makes sense as a scenic vista.

One recurring notion posits the heart as a fragile object separate from the body, kept in a shell or carried like a hand-grenade, suggesting that despite his happy relationship, Beck's emotional equilibrium remains perilously sensitive. And, not surprisingly, politics seeps through - my favourite is the invitation in the title-track to "Say hello to America/Ghost with an iron tongue". But it's the musical arrangements which most sparkle with intrigue and inventiveness, from the bricolage of small, tinkly sound fragments harnessed to a pumping bassline in "1000 bpm", to the combination of Stones-y percussion and sleek West Coast harmonies that make "Strange Apparition" sound like The Eagles singing "Sympathy For The Devil".

Throughout, Godrich sustains a light, airy tone despite the often sonically dense material involved, enabling tracks like "Soldier Jane" to take flight. The only real misfire comes towards the end with the 11-minute suite "The Horrible Fanfare/Landslide/Exoskeleton". But that's an isolated quibble on an otherwise excellent album.

DOWNLOAD THIS: 'Think I'm In Love', 'Strange Apparition', 'Motorcade', 'We Dance Alone', 'Dark Star'

Has anyone purchased this? Coming off the back of Guero which I loved I think this is another classic album. Very ecletic. A great chill out album. It is quite scary though I fell asleep to it and could hear Beck having a conversation at one point on one of the tracks! Is very good though and definatly want to see Beck live now.

So thoughts?

He's okay, bit of a country bumpkin though.

When I reformatted my Mac, 'Where it's at' was the first song to regrace my iTunes library.

Well i erm.. got this today. And i am really impressed, this is an incredible album

Oooo, beck. I may consider looking into this. He's a bit of a legend, isn't he? :)

Haden: Can you give us your opinion on the album? Just expand a little.

Its basically pure Beck. Which is a stupid desription really. It is more of an album than a album with stuff like Girl that might jump out at you. It is really impressive though and the songs are indivdual. It is slightly hip hoppy in a good way, its just class tbh. If you like Beck you will like it you can just sit back and listen to it at anytime. Some use of samples all sorts of instruments. Basically ecletic mental Beck.

This will be the first single for the album in America I think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dec9DKwcChs

Nausea

It isn't my favourite song so if you don't like it theres different stuff on it. Although it is growing on me. Oh btw the video isn't the actual video its just some skater crap sorry Retro Lover! :wink:

When did that happen! Wow Mr Odwin your a legend! Well even more of one than you were before :wink:

Oh man and epro is your most played beck song. What a guy

Ah whoops good choice with missing!

By the way do you have the Guero album remixes? They are awesome I recommend buying them. I did a music video with the Hell Yes remix I should try and do one with E pro I love the original video to much though.

When is Beck going to tour again!

Oh and what the hell Incubus song is that your playing Mr Odwin.

Oh and what the hell Incubus song is that your playing Mr Odwin.

The best track from a crow left of the murder ... Zee Deveel

You ask the silliest questions.

The best track from a crow left of the murder ... Zee Deveel

You ask the silliest questions.

Sorry I haven't brought that album :( I thought it might be from the new one seeing as you know so many cool people!

Sign in to follow this