N-Europe

Math program

MindFreak

Hi.

I am just about to receive my new MacBook, however, I really need a decent program for maths! I have been using Derive until now on Windows but it doesn't work with Mac computers, hence the problem. I have also been using the freeware program Graphmatica, which has proven incredibly useful when dealing with functions. But that doesn't work with Mac either, although they are working on a Mac port. I just don't know for how long.

Well. I have been experimenting with many different programs such as Mathematica and Maple but none of those were as good as Derive. Maple mainly because its plotting (drawing graphs) sucks big time. Maple was the easiest to use, though, so I might be getting that.

So, my question for you is: Is there a program out there that works as good as Derive AND works on Mac OSX?

I really hope you might be able to help me. I've been searching the Net for hours now.

I've used Maple and found it to be alright. Apparently R has very good plotting features but it may be a little heavy for you - and it's very biased towards statistics.

MatLab is an option.

I don't know if the above suggestions have Mac equivalents.