NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Caris

Help with Cooling.

O.k, this is my P.C as you can see the blue neon fan in picture 1, is blowing cool air on to the CPU fan behind it and the fan to the left is sucking the warm air away, looking at these pics my CPU (according to speedfan) is 62oC which is to warm for my liking, is there any tips or tricks i can do to cool the bugger down with out spending any money as i have none haha, thx for your advice,

Caris.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Caris365/DSC00201.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Caris365/DSC00200.jpg

Hm that's not right, mabye the heatsink is on too loosely? Try clearing those molex cables out a bit, they constrict airflow. Also, is your CPU overclocked, and which model is the CPU?

yea everyhtings tight, its a intel P4 550 3.4 Ghz, its form pcowrld liek orignally, so the cpu proboly sucks.

First off... get a piece of tissue and see which way the air is blowing from your case fan.

That might be your problem.

my fan is running on average at 1110 rpm, thats not playing games, i think speed fan is fucked becasue it says something in me comp i 128 oc and it seems preety cool in there.

First off... get a piece of tissue and see which way the air is blowing from your case fan.

That might be your problem.

i fitted it this mornign it suckign the air out

That "128C" will be a dead or unresponsive probe.

Speedfan is never wrong, and Intels are always very hot. They lack a downclocking technology that AMD uses on its 64 bit chips.

If one of the temps is clearly ridiculous, as Jordan says, it's probably a sensor that isn't connected.

However if your CPU temp is 62°c, sorry, but that's probably about right for a Prescott with a stock heatsink. Prescotts are FOUL chips of doom.

Prescotts are the hottest, most power hungry chips in all mainstream desktop chip memory.

If you got your PC recently, and it's a Pentium 4, it will be a prescott. They are rubbish chips.

Thankfully I have an older Northwood <3

You'll have to live with it, but if it does get too hot, it will start throttling hard (lowering the clock speed) until it gets to reasonable temperature.

Go AMD Newcastle chips, super super cool under the right condititions. The Venice is even better apparently.

Yea Jord and Roady is right - its something you will have to live with. You can of course spend alot of money on a heavy copper cooler - but that will only take away another few degrees, which when your up in the 60's is little consilation.

The Prescott is specced up to 90'C anywho before damage occurs, however thats not how hot it can get before it becomes unstable. Chances are at about 70 it will start to get ropey and you might get the odd crash. But although its hot, it shouldnt get much hotter.

So yea, theres not much you can do, but at the same time for a P4 Prescott its not dangerous.

Sign in to follow this