NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Odwin

Memory and CPU Relations

I was up at the in-laws over the weekend and having to use their computer is a bit of a pain as, I think, there is a lack of memory.

The comp has a 2.8Ghz P4 with a FSB of 533Mhz and 128 MB of PC2700 (333 Mhz?) RAM (and integrated graphics so that eats up RAM too). I was thinking about buying him a stick of RAM for Christmas but was wondering if I need to buy PC2100 or PC2700? Doesn't the FSB of the CPU affect the sort of RAM you can use, meaning that their stick of PC2700 RAM is only running at PC2100 speeds anyway? Or am I just totally confused? I know that the CPU is quad-pumped or something, and the RAM is double speed, so that would give 133MHz for the CPU and 166MHz for the RAM? So, anyway, please help.

If the stick of RAM you buy has a higher clockage than the others, it'll just run at the lowest clock around (the slowest sticks speed). If it really is a 333 Mhz stick of RAM (which is PC2700), then a 2700 or 3200 (400 Mhz RAM) stick would work fine.

This is all subject to error due to shittyness of my memory (ba dum tissh) sometimes.

The RAM can independant of the fsb speed, fixed by different ratios, etc.

If the current ram is running at PC2700, buy some PC2700. It's not expensive and they will notice a MASSIVE difference. 128MB is nowhere near enough for any modern PC to run properly, especially with graphics eating the RAM too.

If the current ram is running at PC2700, buy some PC2700. It's not expensive and they will notice a MASSIVE difference. 128MB is nowhere near enough for any modern PC to run properly, especially with graphics eating the RAM too.

Cool, independence is what I needed to know, cheers.

I can't begin to explain how badly it runs, whenever we go up there I end up tearing my hair out. Opening anything takes forever.

My dad's comp is similar but with 256MB and a slightly slower processor and XP runs loads smoother on his.

Doesn't your mobo need to support changing the ratios and such? :wtf:

Sign in to follow this