NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sanchez

Thinking about widescreen

Actually, i've pretty much decided on widescreen, but I'd like to know how it treats games without widescreen support first. Will it letterbox the picture, strech, or does it just depend on the graphics and therefore games won't be affected?

Thank you internet!

Right, basically a game without widescreen support looks okay.

I run Battlefield 2 at a 4:3 resolution and it looks great, it does strech it but its nothing major. I have an Acer AL1916W and i highly recommend it, especially for games.

If the monitor has 1.1 pixel scaling then any 4.3 games only will have borders on the left and right of the image. These ones are usually the more expensive widescreens. But now most games have WS support.

I got a 19" widescreen the other week for my new rig, and I think I'll stick to WS monitors from now on.

I bought the Hanns-G one that is very well priced at £129.99 most places (amazon were doing them for £105 not so long ago). This monitor uses the same panel as the well respected Samsung and Dell monitors. Got DVI & VGA, 8ms response, and decent viewing angles. Recommended.

What monitor were you thinking of getting anyway?

Yep, that's exactly the one I've got.

After many people at overclockers bought it and started rep'n it up, I researched it alittle more, and for the price this is easily the best 19" widescreen around.

The 360 will work fine with it, and I think you'll just need to set the aspect ratio to 16.10 and to the res you need in the dashboard.

But the Wii is what matters mostly at the mo. With quite a few people strapped for space, or being at uni without a TV, then hooking up to a PC monitor of this size is a great idea. Problem is that Nintendo have announced nothing about a VGA adaptor, and some people are even having doubts that the Wii will even support 480p in euro land.

They have mentioned a VGA adaptor in the past, but I'm expecting the worst considering it's Nintendo afterall. Anyone want to chuck some emails at NOE about this?

But yeh, great monitor, and I plan to get another at somepoint for dual screens, as I'm really missing having that set-up. Only crits I have against it are that the stand is alittle cheap (but does the job), and the built in speakers aren't even worth using, although most monitors with built in speakers are shit for sound.

http://komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=322266

Samsung. Best deal I could find.

It's silly how the cheapest 21" is another 200 pounds or so, it's just an inch guys.

That also looks like a great monitor, and price wise for a 20" is superb.

I have a widescreen monitor and every game I have played with it has had a "widescreen" option that has made it look great....

Possibly... What's an SD TV? I'm using a 14" CRT at the moment :heh:

Standard Definition. 14" Mean's you probably are.

Ordered this monitor in the end. http://komplett.co.uk/k/kl.asp?bn=10402

Although more expensive and less contrast, it has a newer panel and should give superior picture quality.

Thanks for the link Colin, Looks very useful.

Sign in to follow this