NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
mike-zim

March? What will Wii do?

guys, you got it all wrong. I'm sure Mario or Smash bros won't be here till next christmas at the earliest and i doubt we'll even see Metroid by march. If nintendo do anything i can see them releasing Pokemon Battle Revolution, along with Diamond/Pearl for DS the same day and a new colour ds and wii.....but again this is Nintendo, I'm kinda sure they won't do a thing and pretend PS3 doesnt exist.

I reckon nothing, Nintendo will probably let the storm brew between Halo 3 and Sony's launch.

Nintendo can do what it wants when it wants, ball is in Nintendo's and Microsoft's really. Sony don't have room to move or swipe back so March really is insignificant.

People say, oh wouldn't it be cool if Nintendo Wii launch on the same day the PS3 was gonna.. that would be hilarious.

Literally- besides it being in my hands a week or two earlier I don't care much for all this competition.

Don't get me started on the HD/BR debate: I'll sum it up shortly for you all.

Pre-DVD consumers wanted better quality, the technology hadn't addressed the issue.. the industry was late and that's why DVD has been such a success.

Average consumers can't tell the difference between DVD and HD.. consumers are happy with DVD.. they aren't crying out "Oh DVDs are so terrible please fix them, how do you rewind this DVD" etc..

The industry is forcing this tech on us for money.. forcing one tech like HD players causes adoption of TVs, HD enabled PCs, sales of HD content like bluray.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

And then you've got the electricity bill, everyone wants to be green but doesn't know how HD equipment causes huge power consumption.

It will fail, I'd bet on it. 5 years early I think.

I'm thinking a load of 1st party games. The ones we all want, but aren't coming out on launch. Super Mario galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and the most important... Super Smash Bros Brawl. Then they'll most likely have some other new titles, hopefully some great 3rd party games.

EDIT

I reckon nothing, Nintendo will probably let the storm brew between Halo 3 and Sony's launch.

Nintendo can do what it wants when it wants, ball is in Nintendo's and Microsoft's really. Sony don't have room to move or swipe back so March really is insignificant.

People say, oh wouldn't it be cool if Nintendo Wii launch on the same day the PS3 was gonna.. that would be hilarious.

Literally- besides it being in my hands a week or two earlier I don't care much for all this competition.

Don't get me started on the HD/BR debate: I'll sum it up shortly for you all.

Pre-DVD consumers wanted better quality, the technology hadn't addressed the issue.. the industry was late and that's why DVD has been such a success.

Average consumers can't tell the difference between DVD and HD.. consumers are happy with DVD.. they aren't crying out "Oh DVDs are so terrible please fix them, how do you rewind this DVD" etc..

The industry is forcing this tech on us for money.. forcing one tech like HD players causes adoption of TVs, HD enabled PCs, sales of HD content like bluray.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

And then you've got the electricity bill, everyone wants to be green but doesn't know how HD equipment causes huge power consumption.

It will fail, I'd bet on it. 5 years early I think.

I have the exact same opinion. Ask anyone, particularly those without HDTVs if they are unsatisfied with DVD and they'll say they're perfectly happy. I know I am, I know my family is, and my friends. HD is something that we don't need yet, and something that is being forced upon us. Like the N-Europe article says, HD just sounds cool, and because it's being rammed down our throats by consumer electronics companies, we're being fooled into think it's something we need.

Besides, HD technology is still young, and flawed. Many Xbox 360 games suffer up to 2 seconds of lag on some HDTVs simply because they're cheap and don't have the computing power. The HD disc formats will all fail becuase we're all too used to DVD, all too happy with DVD, and by the time we all have HDTVs, and HD discs and players are cheap enough, the real HD format will also be cheaper and better. That my fellow posters is the hard drive. With Hard drive technology getting better, and smaller, slowly becoming solid state, and downloads becoming more readily available, in 2 - 4 years when HD-DVD, and Blu-Ray are affordable for the consumer, downloading will be even better.

There is a slight problem of infastructure.. great if you're in a cable or city area.

When the war was on all the copper cabling got ripped up to be used to making weapons and stuff.. they replaced it with aluminium which has a higher resistance or something like that.. meaning broadband speeds for much of the country will peak at 8mb/s, and that really is if you're close to your exchange.

While it is a nice thought that every suburban area will one day have super fast connections like in Korea and Japan.. it's not likely because that kind of road works can't be justified for the density of the population in certain areas.

WiFi max might save the day and have huge hubs.. but I'm skeptical of that. But maybe I'm wrong.. a lot can change in 5 years..

Basically I know where I'm gonna be living when I can afford it.. begins with L.

Sign in to follow this