NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Twozzok

Putting my 2.5" Laptop Harddrive into my computer...

Ok, so my mum replaced her laptops harddrive with a larger one and gave me the old one. I'm running out of space on my current hard drives so I thought, instead of buying a new one i'd just buy an adaptor for the 2.5" IDE -> 3.5" IDE, but the only kind of adaptors I can find, plug straight into the motherboard instead of into a proper IDE cable.

Basically what i'm looking for is a little converter that converts the 48 pinnage of a 2.5" hard drive into the 40 pinnage of a 3.5". This will then plug into the 'slave' connector on an IDE cable.

Also, is there anywhere in can buy extra pin jumpers?

Edit: I've also looked into buying an external caddy for it, but then it'd be limited by USB transfer speeds which isn't good :)

USB transfer speeds serve me quite well with my external 200 GB HD, and most laptops have a lower rpm anyway, thus their transfer speed is already limited, making any eventual margin with the USB transfer speed even smaller.

(I'm assuming you have USB 2.0)

Yeah, I have USB 2.0

I've also started considering making a media box with it, though if it's 5400rpm as it probably is, then damn :(

You want one of these. However a laptop hard drive isn't really any good for a media box, even the 7200rpm drives are slower than IDE 7200 drives. Especially when you think, I just got a SATAII drive 250 gig, with 16mb cache for £55. HDD's are just so cheap these days!

you can buy the 2.5 to 3.5 adapters off ebay that plug into an IDE cable, i bought one off there a while ago to plug my bros hdd in to my comp, there are fairly cheap, if i find the one i got here u can have it.

Hi, I have found the adapter plate for the laptop hard drive if you still want it, let me know and we can sort it out.

Sign in to follow this