NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Minihobbsch

Low memory...

Hello members. Just wanted to ask for your advice on my PC.

You see, my PC should have 256MB of RAM, but at the moment it has 192MB of RAM, I don't know where the other 50MB is being used. Is that ok or seriously bad?

How do you know that it only has 192 MB? Press your Start button and then right-click on your 'My Computer' icon and select properties. How much RAM does it say in the bottom right corner of the box that appears?

Like here:

ramso5.jpg

How do you know that it only has 192 MB? Press your Start button and then right-click on your 'My Computer' icon and select properties. How much RAM does it say in the bottom right corner of the box that appears?

I did that. That's how I can tell.

Hmmm...

Its probable that your graphics card is onboard and is using your RAM up thus you have less ram.

Either way, you don't exactly have much of it.

i have 2 gig of ram. With no programs running it takes up 400ram for the system or something O.o Yes its alot but it doesn't affect me.

I'd suggest getting lots more, when it's that low, 50mb isn't making much difference. I currently have 1.25GB and am buying 2GB with my new PC.

RAM is so cheap at the moment, you'll be able to get 512mb for £20 if you look hard enough.

RAM is so cheap at the moment, you'll be able to get 512mb for £20 if you look hard enough.

Could you suggest anywhere?

Could you suggest anywhere?

I've got RAM from http://www.ebuyer.co.uk that was really good. You have to check for compatibility with your current RAM though (unless you just replace it). Someone else can probably explain that better than me though.

I have to admit I do most things about a PC, but the stuff on the inside is just too technical for me. So, how would I know what RAM goes with my PC?

P.S. Thank you all those that have helped me so far.:bowdown:

Ebuyer or dabs or failing that ebay.

Make sure you get the right speed!

I will remember what I need to get, as I have no money :nono: . I have to wait until I got back to school in september to get it.

What makes me laugh is, you buy a computer, couple of years pass, you still use the same programs and everything, not upgraded the pc and now the guys who sold you the computer tell you, you could do with more RAM.

So does this mean what you sold me wasn't good enough?

(Just moaning a bit more about PC World...)

What makes me laugh is, you buy a computer, couple of years pass, you still use the same programs and everything, not upgraded the pc and now the guys who sold you the computer tell you, you could do with more RAM.

So does this mean what you sold me wasn't good enough?

(Just moaning a bit more about PC World...)

Is this something that had happened to you, or was that something in general directed at me?

The reason it shows up as 192, could be something to do with bits and bytes.

Like, how hard drive manufacturers advertise their drive as 250Gb, but windows reports it as 232GB. One advertises how many bits, and the other shows how many bytes. (Or something, i'm sure Jordan or someone could explain it better)

Sign in to follow this