NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CompSci

what is the best AGP gfx card?

Wait did you even read the thread, at all?

Did you? I suggested an X800 XT PE for the guy at the start, and a 9800 Pro for the guy asking about his integrated graphics machine.

Did you? I suggested an X800 XT PE for the guy at the start, and a 9800 Pro for the guy asking about his integrated graphics machine.

In which case you can batter me around the head, because I didn't get your train of thought.

Yeah 9800 Pro is good but it's not a HUGE upgrade from a 9600 Pro which he already could put in it.

I'd suggest something like a 6600GT if you were going to buy a new card at this point in time.

6600GT if you arent into overclocking/modding etc. Geforce 6800 or 6800LE if you are.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk have some good AGP deals on the 6 series cards. Also have a peak in the b grade section where you could nab possibly a 6800GT for little over a hundred. :) Geforce 6800GT will blow these out of the water.

Buy, thats very cheap :)

Also, As far as i'm aware Pixel Shader 3.0 is exactly the same as 2.0, just faster. And my X800 XTPE can run the HDR on DoD: Source just fine Choze ;)

No SM3.0 uses new effects and features that include stuff on the next gen consoles. A good example the Nvidia Luna demo. HDR on DOD isnt full HDR so it could run on ATI cards(Valve and ATI promo remember). Far Cry is a good example of real HDR. Big difference in quality and many people get annoyed with DOD HDR.

I was pretty sure Shader Model 3 only sped things up and simplified and a bunch of instructions, but you could still do the same effects in Shader Model 2.

I was pretty sure Shader Model 3 only sped things up and simplified and a bunch of instructions, but you could still do the same effects in Shader Model 2.

NO you cant enable certain effects in games without SM3.0

An example is HDR in games like Far Cry. Splinter Cell chaos Theory , Age of Empires etc. Other more advanced effects to be used in future wont be working on non sm3.0 cards.

It would be stupid to buy a SM2.0 card now that prices are dropping all across the board.

PC Perspective has posted an interview with the CEO of the makers of FarCry. We found that answers to questions 7 and 8 fully support our conclusions on the subject we have put forth here in our article.

Q: 7) What aspects of the screenshots seen at the launch event are specific examples of the flexibility and power of Shader 3.0?

A: In current engine there are no visible difference between PS2.0 and PS3.0. PS3.0 is used automatically for per-pixel lighting depending on some conditions to improve speed of rendering.

Q: 8) Is the same level of image quality seen when using Shader 3.0 possible using Shader 2.0? If so, what dictates which Shader you decide to use?

A: In current generation engine quality of PS3.0 is almost the same as PS2.0. PS3.0 is used for performance optimization purposes.

I explictely saw on Toms Hardware that Shader Model 3 is indeed a Code Streamlining tool - which enables for more processes to be completed in one whack, exactly as Piro and Jord said. Its a total miff that it sports new rendering techniques.

So yes, Choze you are incorrect.

EDIT : -

Taken from THQ....

'As you know ATi's X series of cards fails to sport Shader Model 3.0, however this is not a problem for this generation because SH3 is mearly to process more graphical tasks within one rendering pass - and is not something thats benefical for this graphics generation, nor something thats impossible to easily implement in the future'.

Sign in to follow this