NEurope
shade

Gamecube RGB cabel on Wii Question

If you take a look here and watch Matt walk through the Wii console, look closely at the multi-AV/OUT socket at the back, and the power socket - they both look identical to those of the GCN and in terms of the AV socket, identical to the SNES and N64 scart outputs so I'm quite confident that the GCN component cable will be usable with Wii. :yay:

I've had a look at this and whilst the socket does look the same, the problem, as KingOfHyrule has pointed out, is that the Cube component cable only carries video. In order to get any sound, we still need to have the composite cable plugged in. As there is only one output socket on the Wii, as opposed to 2 on the Cube, there is going to have to be a new component cable made that carries both Video and Audio.

As far a TV's which have component inputs is concerned, my TV is about 3 years old, and is just a standard 28" widescreen CRT TV, but it does have component inputs, so it's not just HDTV sets that have them.

wiibackqu1.jpg

so anyone with the relevant GC cables care to comment on the fit? (i dont have my cube with me)

Just had a look at my cube, the sockets different but it may still fit!

On the Wii one only one corner is cut off, whereas on the Cube its two, so whilst Wii cables may be a slightly different shape the Cube ones may still fit in.

so anyone with the relevant GC cables care to comment on the fit? (i dont have my cube with me)

I've checked and it does look slightly like the component socket of the cube, but does it really matter? The cube will come with a composite cable, so you won't need your cube cable, and as I've already said, there's no point trying to fit your old component cable into the slot as, even if it does fit, you won't get any sound.

Further to the point, I just was told on another forum that wii wont do RGB :shock:

Meh I wouldn't believe that lad. RGB is a bog standard output these days, whoever said that was probably talking out their hole lol

Maybe with a multi-out port on Wii there will come a multi-out cable with the console (composite, component, S-video, RGB, plus audio L and R?)...but then again component components (did you like the play on words there :awesome: eh lol) are expensive, I don't think Nintendo would go for that as a giveaway with the machine, especially considering most users will likely be using RGB or composite. Looks like it'll just have to be bought seperate at launch - if I don't get one at least by Christmas I'll be less than pleased; Twilight Princess in 480i? I think not :shock:

Meh I wouldn't believe that lad. RGB is a bog standard output these days, whoever said that was probably talking out their hole lol

that was my gut reaction. but the official spec dont list it. But other alternatives I guess will do. I was under the impression that RGB was better than composite or S-Video. :(

"An AV Multi-output port for component, composite or S-video."

http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/wii/?site=hardware.html&l=enGB