NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
bencallis

Linux

Hi I am thinking of running my spare pc on linux . The specs are p3 700mhz 128mb ram 20gb hardrive. Which version do you recomend? I have been recomended ubunta. I am after something quite easy to use and nice to look at. Thanks

I am running Ubuntu at the moment and its great, very easy for new users to install and use.

Why dont you try the live cd first to see if you like it ?

BTW - It has a hideous brown theme, just dont let that put you off.

I am running Ubuntu at the moment and its great, very easy for new users to install and use.

Why dont you try the live cd first to see if you like it ?

BTW - It has a hideous brown theme, just dont let that put you off.

Have done and do like it , was wondering if there is any better though. saw one that looked very sleek it has a blue desktop taskbar at the bottom , does anyone know which version this is :wtf: Thanks

I think Debian is the best distro at the moment but I'd recommend Ubuntu for new users. It has the best parts of Debian and is slightly easier.

SuSe 10.0 is coming out in a week or so I think. Maybe try one of the older Suse's to see what you think of it?

I have ran 'small linux' on a 700mhz laptop with a 2gb hd. Well worth it.

Slackware i am running atm although I dual boot and often find myself using windows over linux. I should really start getting back into it. Gentoo is also another good distro. Debian is ok in parts.

Good points:

awesome command line gets you more involved and gives you kudos points for being able to work a command line

supposedly more stable

gnome is awesome

better software comes with it

its free

its open source

its not microsoft

Bad points

Its harder to use/get use to

there are less application support

That's not a bad system, it just doesn't have much RAM.

Both of my servers are P3 666 and they run everything just swell. (Although DC++ hashing kills things).

Sign in to follow this