N-Europe

Big Love

Ashley

Oops should have made a thread before it aired.

Anyway Big Love began about half an hour ago on Five, airing the first two episodes from 9-11.20 (think its a HBO program which is advertless, so it is actually an hour long, rather than 44 minutes).

I've seen a few episodes (due to all the Veronica Mars alum) and its weird but interesting. A basic premise is "An early 40s business man is married to three wives and has seven (I think) children from these various wives" but is based upon old practices of the Mormon Church (although it is claimed that it is not based upon them, it obviously is).

So just wondering if anyone else has given this weird show a chance?

Well as a review said, it says its nothing to do with the church because obviously Mormons don't wish to drag up some of their dirty history (no offence or anything), much in the same way if there was a show about Nazi's Germans wouldn't be happy about it because its a black mark in their history.

Anyway from what I can gather (the churhy parts went over my head), the main character was raised a Mormon in this weird little community (think it was like Mormon's who didn't wish to move on, not "proper" modern-day Mormons) and he was driven to the nearest big city (can't remember where its set) at 14 and left there. So I think thats why he left the religion. But then the daughter of his first wife who is about seventeen said to her friend they used to go to church a lot, but then a big change happened (his first wife got cancer and thats when they agreed for him to marry someone else) and they don't go so much. So im not sure if its because of his abandonment, his decision to become a polygymst or a mixture. However in one scene he is seen praying in his car, so he hasn't completely abandonded God. I get the feeling its for narrative purposes (his first wife doens't agree with the bizarre community his family come from - and we are shown his parents who are very weird).

Sorry if that makes no sense, I could find better reading material if you wished.