NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Zell

I need help

Recently (a couple of days ago) I had this problem when logging on to my user profile on my laptop (it has windows xp). It said that my profile could not be loaded for various reasons (I'm not sure what it said exactly but I'll check), it suggested lack of security software (which it doesnt have, my norton run out). It now logs me on to a temporary profile which as all the default settings and all the settings reset when you log off. This is very annoying because I have to retype my network passwords to get online, re-enter usernames for stuff (like msn) and can only access my documents through the hard drive.

Its been like that ever since. Two days before this problem, my computer downloaded automatically an antivirus programme called "windows defender" and thats the last thing I've downloaded (the only thing all week). I dont think that caused it but when i ran the virus check on windows defender it found a virus and removed it. The problem still occurs though.

So I need help so could some tech-heads please help me because I dont want to create a new profile and have to move everything (also deleting my history on itunes). Any suggestions much appreciated!

PS Soz for the long post.

PLease don't tell me that automatic download was internet popup. First thing id do is remove windows defender from your computer using the add/remove programs thing in control panel. then get rid of any folders, any trace of it infact. Also clear your temp internet files (using internet explorer or disk cleanup) Windows defender definaterly sounds dodgy. Grab a copy of AVG (anti virus gold) and Ad-Aware from http://www.download.com. they are both free, and unlike norton don't ever run out. Run scans on both of them.

Have you tried system restore, restoring to a point before you installed windows defender? I've got a feeling that its surely got something to do with this, so try and obliterate it from your system. Once your completely rid of it, try a system restore to a time before you downloaded it. (again instal avg and adaware, they are good programs to use).

A copy of the error message you get would be useful, if this doesnt work.

Hope that helps, post again if it doesnt

Sign in to follow this