N-Europe

Dolby Digital 5.1 ?

RevoJack

Could go either way.

Goes against inclusion: DD5.1 could be difficult and expensive to develop; DD5.1 is still not established mainstream;

Pros: hardcore gamers want it. New disk media has the storage capacity.

Notice, i;m edging my bets.

It's far more common than HDTV and the Xbox has used DD5.1 already last generation, and it's an industry standard, so there's nothing stopping Nintendo. Dolby Pro Logic II sets are already less common than DD5.1 sets, so I think Nintendo should use it. I certainly would be dissappointed if they didn't, DD5.1 makes such a difference.

There were rumours flying around of 7.1 inclusion.

I seriously hope 5.1 makes it, because it sounds fantastic.

I went and bought myself a brand new surround sound system at the beginning of last year solely for Twilight Princess. I know it's only Pro Logic II, but still.

Having the Revolution support 5.1 would be wonderful. The question remains however, where is the optical port? Unless Nintendo includes coaxial in the proprietary out socket...

They've sacrificed HDTV support - which will take me a while to get over after having got a HDTV for Christmas - but if they sacrifice DD 5.1 at least, they're scraping the barrel. My bet will be that it will be a standard in the system, but Nintendo do tend to surprise us in bittersweet ways...

On the patent images there is detail of a port above the AV port which is as I am told by experts in the field of audio: is a digital audio port.

Digital audio carries the data required to support such hardware as Dolby Surround sound 5.1 and 7.1 'where available'

Bang for your buck compared to a HD TV surround sound offers a far more immersive experience and is more accesible to people.

But.. this is what we got at GDC:

revol2.jpg

Where the text is for the AV port (long thing port) there should be a digital out.

It could be they want to keep it secret, it could be they're still budgetting the machine.. I think they should keep it at whatever cost.. but I am a big fan of quality audio..

Nintendo has clearly expressed consideration, and to some extent intention to add digital opitcal out on Revolution.

Whether it will make it to the high street we'll have to find out at E3.

I'm still 50:50 so I'm not placing any chips on either outcome.