N-Europe

Katamari Creator views on the Rev control

ShadowV7

Oh no, no Katamari for the Revolution. I've been depressed for a while, but this new twist is pouring salt into my wrist-gashes. I think now is a good time to end it all and face the reaper.

See you on the other side, my friends.

[edit]

Fuck Katamari.

Quite so, who cares what he says, as they made the last Katamari game, he's nothing without it.

"I'm not really interested in it ,I don't think a controller should have that much influence on the enjoyment of games."

Takahashi elaborated, "I see what [Nintendo is] trying to do, but they're putting such emphasis on the controller; 'Woah, this controller lets you do this!' and I'm thinking - are you messing with us?" He concluded on the subject of Revolution when he said "there's nothing I really want to do with it right now."

I think the comment about the controller not having overall influence on enjoyment is pretty narrow minded of him. We've moved on since days of the NES controller, and I personally can't see in my mind games like Katamari ever working on such a controller.

On the otherhand I think people may be misinterpreting what he's said. I think he's digging at the way the Revolution controller is being talked up, like it's only useful for games that are based around the motion sensors. Whether or not the controller has to be used in that way, that's all they're touting it as, gimmick comes to mind on that...........I don't know where this is comment is going, but Takahashi's a smart bloke, and knows what he's talking about.

I suppose time will tell whether he has a point at all with this.

Games First’s Aaron Stanton spin kicks Katamari creator Keita Takahashi right in the side of his stupid hippy head. Why? Over the absurdity of the creator of one of the games with the worst control schemes in recent memory giving the Big N shit for emphasizing the importance of how gamers interact with games.

Here’s some meat:

For a game that should be extremely accessible, Katamari leaves even the most experienced gamer occasionally shaking the controller in frustration after they’ve been backed into a camera blind-spot and can’t turn around quickly enough to figure out how to escape.

In terms of gameplay and approaching the industry from a unique perspective, Keita Takahashi can critique all he likes.

But in terms of control schemes, in two games he’s consecutively proved he’s one of the Revolution’s least qualified critics.

You tell him, Aaron! “Naive pure wonderful and silly love” my ass!

The Revolution’s Least Qualified Critic [Games First]

Source: Kotaku