N-Europe

Wireless Router help?

Demuwan

I just got a 2nd PC and I don't know what it is exactly that I need to get connected. I know it will have to be wireless but I dont know what I need to buy. I was also gonna use the signal for my DS WIFI needs(MPH round the corner).

What do I need to buy?

What are the best routers around?

How do I need to connect this stuff?

Will my Internet speed (576 kbps) suffer because of this?

Can I use this stuff with AOL? (or do I need a special wireless server)

Will the Internet speed on the 2nd PC be slow. (Dial-up speed)

Thanks any help would be much appreciated.

:grin:

You need an usb dongle or a pci wifi card for the pcs. Then you need a router and an internet connection to which you'll hook up your router. The manuals which come with the router/card/dongles will help you to get the network setup working. Remember to use encrypted connection! Unless you live middle of nowhere like me. The closest house is about 150meters away.

The easiest way to get your ds to work is to buy a Buffalo whr-hp-g54-2 It has aoss which is supported by ds. A downside for this router is a not so good range. But I reckon the pc's aren't that far away.

Your internet speed will be divided for the two comps, but not always as 50-50. It depends on how much the pc needs the bandwidth. About aol I don't know as we don't have that here. But I can't see why it wouldn't. Perhaps someone other can tell more about that.