N-Europe

Raid configuration

dabookerman

I've been told raid 5 is supposed to be the best, but it's probably a bit over-the-top for most people.

Out of the other two, for reliability and data safety choose raid 1, but for speed and performance, choose raid 0.

From what i understand choosing which Raid configuration is only important if you have more than 1 HDD right?

Because i will have one 400gb sata hdd installed, and then in a week or so, my IDE from the other pc. i will get a secondary HDD end of the year (or when i run out of space.)

If you don't know what RAID is, don't even think about using it.

Simple!

Edit: Okay, okay....

RAID 0 is striping. It means you can join a few disks together so they look like one big disk. Don't do this. If one drive fails, all of your data is gone. It is, however, often marginally quicker than running a single drive.

RAID 1 is mirroring. So if you have 2 disks in a RAID 1 array, it basically mirrors each disk. (Limited to the smallest disk size).

RAID 5 is striping with parity, kind of like RAID 0 but without the horrendous 1 drive = dead array thing. It can handle a single drive failure, and needs at least 3 drives to operate. You have the capacity of the smallest drive in the array * the number of drives - 1 in RAID 5.

The raid0 is good for at least one thing, storing captured video footage. As a 60min dv tape takes lots of space (1min~220Mb) if you have lots of footage it's easier if you have a single tape in a single file. And if one drive fails it doesn't matter as you still have the masters as a dv tape.