N-Europe

Escaping 'reality' - Lineage 2 article

spirited away

So, i was flicking through the that free magazine that comes with The Daily Telegraph half a year back and came across an interview with a Korean guy apparently the 'King' of a game called Lineage, which i had not heard of until then.I was intrigued so I read through it and you found out about his life which included on some-insane- days 20 hours of play each day, and the other time spent working his burger bar. I read on and it enlightened me to how 'crazy' some Koreans are about mmorpg's, apparently around 3 million play this game a week and they have huge internet cafes that seat hundreds of people where they all sit and immerse themselves in this fantasy world.

He spends most of his time stuck on the computer, probably to escape from his adequate life, controlling the games political area, like raising taxes e.t.c as he is ultimately in control but does come up against rebellions. Apparently his account is so good it would go for 10,000's of pounds maybe even into the hundreds as everything can be sold for real life money. There was even a death i believe when somone scammed another player of a really good item, and it was that important to him:wtf: . For some people its like the game becomes their life and thyre hiding away from the 'real' world. I mean could you really play as much as this guy does in front of the computer.

other peoples views please...

Well if everyone he knows plays the game all the live long day, it is life isn't it? And what's wrong with escapism anyway, if you really can't find anything worthwhile somewhere, you can move somewhere else and look there. In this case it's just his video game and stuff.

I don't think sitting at a computer playing games all day is a life any less normal than the lives we all lead.

He can do whatever to fuck he likes really. So long as it doesn't involve stopping someone else doing whatever the fuck they want, and vice vesa like.

What I was getting at before was that you are judging what his life is like against your own completely different life and mindset. So you can't really say he's neglecting his 'real life' because it seems to be the gaming world.

lol games take u away from the troubles of reality, even if ur standing there doing nothing it is still compelling to play

i mean im play mc ds, using psp internet and playing runescape at same time

even thought standing there talking on rs and looking up videos on psp

its still compelling