NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
That Guy

Wireless Router ***God Help!!***

OK so here's the story so far. We had a 512k broadband connection and my dad decides to get a wireless Netgear Router. It worked great, we both had the internet and it was pretty fast. Then we decided to upgrade the connection to 2.2mb.

Now I'm not sure if it was that exact day but around that time the router stopped working, the adsl connection kept dropping out and we contacted netgear eventually ended up with a replacement. Sure enough, we continued to have the same problem no matter what the guys on the phone said to do.

I noticed on the netgear forum that people who had upgraded their connection to 2mb were having a similar problem. Could this have an effect?

We returned the netgear stuff and got a wanadoo router. Now the problem appears to be the same, the light flashes saying no connection then will flash slower saying we have an adsl connection, then back to quick flashing.

The computer says the signal from the router is excellent. My dad however insists that is the problem. I think it has something to do with us upgrading to 2mb broadband.

What do you guys reckon could be the problem? And the internet works fine when we have our normal speedtouch modem plugged in (otherwise posting this would be impossible. Please god help. Anyone. Please....

sounds like there might be a problem related to the distance of the isp's adsl box to your house. Can't remember what the maximum distances were, but as general rule, you have to be closer for faster connections. And maybe the wireless routers are a bit more "picky" about the signal than the cable one. the flashing of the light might be because it gets a really low strength signal.

This is something I'm thinking too. I've tried putting in the username and password and it comes up adsl connection: synchronisation in progress, then it comes up synchronised but then it will come up synchronisation in progress again after about 3-4 seconds.

I've asked my dad to perhaps see if we can go back to 512k connection but he keeps saying thats not the problem.

Thanks for your help mate, if anyone else would like to toss up anymore ideas feel free....

I thought the same as Bogbas (before I read his comments). I'm thinking your line can't cope with the 2mb connection, and is chucking you off. Have you got a USB modem you can try out?

I thought the same as Bogbas (before I read his comments). I'm thinking your line can't cope with the 2mb connection, and is chucking you off. Have you got a USB modem you can try out?

It's very odd that the USB modem works fine but the router setup doesn't. Tried updating all your drivers?

Maybe you've put the wrong settings into your router, phone up your ISP and ask for the settings.

Sign in to follow this