NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Stocka

Koei Executive Disappointed With Revolution

As long as we have the option to choose who we play e.g. on SSBR for me to host and invite three friends in friends list to join then I'll be happy.

but it does need to be better. it needs to have friends lists, voice com, hefty support and a decent set of games. if its as stripped down as the ds wfc.......well we'll have a ps2 on our hands, so to speak.

Hasn't nintendo itself stated that from their point of view online playing shouldn't have a monthly fee? That just about rules out an xbox live kind of an online system. And they also said that it would be up to the developers to decide if they want the user to pay monthly fees for their game. So the online connectivity would probably be something similar to ds. Although I have to say that it actually works quite well and is easy to set up.

But I think that it was reported last year or earlier that nintendo has patented some online features(in the US), such as a ranking system etc. That basically means that xbox live is using a nintendo patent. But the patenting in USA is pretty plain stupid sometimes. I remember hearing that microsoft patented the double click. And a while ago they patented the fat- filesystem. Which means that in every digital camera/memory card/mp3 player etc. you buy, there's a certain amount of money that goes to microsoft.

revolution is the only console this generation with storage as standed in each and every unit. theres nothing stopping nintendo from releasing a hard drive in the future.

i actualy like the ds online features it's easy to use and it's extreamly easy to setup, however some problems need to be addressed.

1. needs uniq id and username for all games.

2. a loby with out the need for any game inserted, for chatting and arraging game matches.

3. needs to be easier to tell when friends are on and if they are you should be abble to message them in some way. in or out of game.

4. support for servers, the p2p method nintendo is using is great for small amounts of players. even if it works similer to gamespy or steam where they release server software which isp's ect can host.

Ummm...

Didn't Nintendo claim that the Flash Memory is EXPANDABLE?

If you can fit 512 Megs on a TransFlash Card:

db_1_b.JPG

Then imagine what you can have on a much bigger Flash Card.

Desides, I've never heard of a game that takes up 512 Megs of memorycard space! Except for PC, where it's done to reduce loading times, which according to Nintendo should be exceptionallt short anyhow!

Ummm...

Didn't Nintendo claim that the Flash Memory is EXPANDABLE?

If you can fit 512 Megs on a TransFlash Card:

db_1_b.JPG

Then imagine what you can have on a much bigger Flash Card.

Desides, I've never heard of a game that takes up 512 Megs of memorycard space! Except for PC, where it's done to reduce loading times, which according to Nintendo should be exceptionallt short anyhow!

That's a good point.

No-one wondering why he didn't slam the PS3, too? That doesn't have a planned HDD built in, according to the latest Sony documentation, it will be an add-on. Also, the PS3 has no on-board storage built in, so the Revolution is actually superior to it, in that respect. No, the guy from Koei is just bitching, probably looking for money to start coming his way from Sony.

many good points, and yes the memory is expandable. the gadget show on five had a feature about MMORPG's a few weeks ago, and stated that all three manufacturers, including nintendo, were investing money in this type of game for their next systems.

with something like pokemon i just know nintendo are gonna crash through the MMORPG market in their own unique way. but i also have faith that their many secrets that they are keeping from us will house all our unanswered questions. it's a genre nintendo aren't bypassing, they've stated so themselves, let's just see what e3 brings, i think we'll all be pleasantly surprised, and besides i think even the hardest core MMORPG players will have a revo too as nintendo have said that the revolution will appeal to every kind of gamer, new ones right through to hardcore.

the DS' online service some say is limited, but remember we're talking about a handheld here!! mario kart was a great start, but look at animal crossing and metroid hunters, look at how that online wifi experience is expanding, and that's only on the DS! i have complete faith that nintendo's online service will be the best out of all three systems, and i hope i don't sound like a fanboy when i say that, but i honestly believe it. i think that's why microsoft are so pathetically trying to attack what little we know about the revolution's wifi, they're running scared about what is yet to be announced!

Fanboy defending aside, this is concerning news. The Nintendo DS online service is complete shit for this day and age. Nintendo better get their act together, we don't want a trio of failed consoles in the public eye.

It is simple.

It is free.

It is safe.

Yes Mario Kart DS was rushed.. to get it out for Christmas.

Yes the friend code system needs to be unified for the server not the individual game.

Yes there needs to be a more lobby style interaction profiles better friend lists and tournaments.

But you forget the numbers.. xbox live was a failure in comparison to the launch of Nintendo wifi.. and considering it was rushed I think they did a great job. Think about it.. if they don't rush it the possibilities are barely limited.

What was it? 2 million individual user connections? in the first 3 months? Pretty good if you ask me..

You want xbox live, but you also want it to be free.. that's not possible I'm afraid.

I want the Revo Wifi to be like DS. It has to be simple and straightforward

Online play on the DS is too simple. Nintendo have noticed that and have changed it for Metroid Hunters. Not being able to choose who to play against is one of the worst things Nintendo have made/done. They should really just take a leaf out of Microsoft's book and copy XBL. XBL is the best thing for consoles since the analogue stick.

I just want a zelda online game and pokemon online not stuff like WoW. I agree with you moria that you cannot pick who you play against. and because nintendo wi-fi is free I dont want to have damn lag all over the place just because its free. And I can see that happening.

I agree 512 MB is a bit too limiting for five years of gaming. Nintendo may want to push it to 1 GB, it's not that expensive.

Actually flash is.

There are GameCube cards which I think will be backwards compatible, they're cheap.. save files don't use much space really. If they use some kind of .xml tech it will be miniscule.

SD slots will be expandable for the downloadable demos and software. There is plenty of space.

I dunno what type of memory they're using but if 1 GB is too expensive they're using the wrong type :smile:

But yeah, SD cards do the trick. If the guy has problems with that, add a free SD card with the game.

They wont bundle SD, because there is a competitive market online.. you can search arond and get SD/Ram uber cheap if you shop.

They're using ram because it is light, small, and low power consumption.

We get 512mb of ram available at a slow speed, not the stuff you find on your graphics card.. that's high speed so the data can be given to a processor as fast as it needs it.

Why the slower stuff? Because we only use it for saving content.. only thing that might be a downfall to the end user is waiting a second or two while we save, nothing we haven't been used to for many years.

We really can't comment on how well the Revolution will provide us with space because we can't quantify it with a save file.. we just don't know how big virtual games console roms will use.. nor do we know how big a save file will be.

Trust Nintendo to get it right, you wont run out of space.

2 GameCube slots

2 SD slots (presumed)

512mb RAM on board for downloaded content

2 USB ports (perhaps with generic drivers for pen drives)

I'm pretty sure it's not the same as the stuff they're putting in the Revolution.. because developpers have access to read and write textures and levels onto this flash as an extension of the GPU ram.

im sure it's just flash and flash is cheap only in small amounts, 1gig is nearly the cost of a laptop hard drive with a storage of 20+ gigs.

virtual games will probley max out at about 64megs, resident evil 2 64 being one of the only games to use a cart that big except for maybe some of the 64dd games.

xbox live is, in my own opinion, so far removed from the greatest thing to happen to videogames! it's full of cheats, obnoxious foul-mouthed cheats i might add too. and i refuse to pay an extra sum per month on top of broadband subscription for something that should be, and CAN be, free. the extras in the xbox 360's live aren't exciting me either. i've only played mario kart online as far as ninty's wifi service goes and i love it!

with the revolution we'll see another revolutionary service i am sure of it, and they won't copy microsoft when they can do so much better.

Sign in to follow this