NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Beast

Keeping Track of Pokemon

I've decided I'm truly going to try and catch 'em all and play through all of them. Is there an app or something of some kind where I can track them? I'm playing from Red onwards. 

I really think there should be a Pokédex app where every Pokémon in every game is on it for you to tick off! That would be awesome!

2 hours ago, Beast said:

I've decided I'm truly going to try and catch 'em all and play through all of them. Is there an app or something of some kind where I can track them? I'm playing from Red onwards. 

I must admit, I'm not familiar with any applications for this purpose, and I have to wonder if there even is one, seeing as Pokémon Home actually tracks which Pokémon you have deposited into it.

Right, I know you're gonna play through them all, but the weird thing is that to get a complete National Pokédex, you don't actually need any of the games on the Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, or the DS.

Assuming you ignore mythical Pokémon that you can only get through events (Like Jirachi), you would need X/Y, Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, Sword/Shield, Pokémon GO, Legends: Arceus, Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl, and Scarlet/Violet.

22 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I must admit, I'm not familiar with any applications for this purpose, and I have to wonder if there even is one, seeing as Pokémon Home actually tracks which Pokémon you have deposited into it.

Right, I know you're gonna play through them all, but the weird thing is that to get a complete National Pokédex, you don't actually need any of the games on the Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, or the DS.

Assuming you ignore mythical Pokémon that you can only get through events (Like Jirachi), you would need X/Y, Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, Sword/Shield, Pokémon GO, Legends: Arceus, Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl, and Scarlet/Violet.

That's very interesting to know. So whatever I catch on any of the games, I can use them in other games, right?

I read that something is going to happen to Pokémon Home. Is it going to something?

For me though, it's more of a completion thing. Like I want to play through the games but catch the Pokémon within that game as well as complete the story.

10 hours ago, Beast said:

That's very interesting to know. So whatever I catch on any of the games, I can use them in other games, right?

Oh geez...

Um... It depends? This might be a bit confusing.

OK, so the original Game Boy cartridges can connect to each other. But they absolutely cannot do so with any future games. I say "cartridges", because if you happen to have a 3DS with the Virtual Console versions, they can connect with Pokémon Bank. More on Pokémon Bank in a bit, but with the 3DS eShop closed, you can't buy these versions, or Pokémon Bank anymore. So if you don't have a 3DS with those games on it now, you're out of luck.

Now, from the GBA games onwards, you can transfer Pokémon on to future games. So you can take a Pokémon from the GBA games and transfer it to the first DS games (Diamond/Pearl), and then on to the next set (Black/White). However, be aware that these are all one-way trips. You can't transfer Pokémon from the DS back to the GBA.

Now getting a Pokémon from the DS to the 3DS is a bit more complicated. You'll need a 3DS with two apps on it, Pokémon Bank, and Pokémon Transporter. If you don't, then you can't do this, because the 3DS eShop has shut down.

If you do have them, then Pokémon Transporter is what allows you to move Pokémon from the DS games (and the Virtual Console Game Boy games) to Pokémon Bank. By the way,

11 hours ago, Beast said:

I read that something is going to happen to Pokémon Home. Is it going to something?

I think you're thinking of Pokémon Bank here. Some people assume that because the 3DS online servers have shut down, Pokémon Bank no longer works, but this isn't true. You can still use it. Now it will probably shut down sometime in the future. Nothing lasts forever, after all. But we don't when that will be yet.

Anyway, Pokémon Bank is a way for you to store Pokémon and move them between the 3DS games. And if you want to move those Pokémon on to one of the Switch games, then you'll also need Pokémon Home.

Pokémon Home is the Switch and mobile phone application that also lets you store Pokémon and move them between the Switch games. It also has other features, like letting you trade with other people, and keeping track of your National Pokédex completion. It also lets you transfer any Pokémon you have in Bank to Home.

However, and this is important, none of the Switch games allow you to have every Pokémon in one game. You can't "catch 'em all" in any of them, which means some Pokémon can't be moved to some games.

For example, Kecleon, the Pokémon you can see in my profile picture, can't be caught in any of the Switch games except Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. So you can't move it to, say, Scarlet/Violet. The game just won't allow it.

I think that covers all the important bits. It's a lot to take in, I know. So if you have any questions, let me know, and I'll try to explain it more.

9 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Oh geez...

OK, so the original Game Boy cartridges can connect to each other. But they absolutely cannot do so with any future games. I say "cartridges", because if you happen to have a 3DS with the Virtual Console versions, they can connect with Pokémon Bank. More on Pokémon Bank in a bit, but with the 3DS eShop closed, you can't buy these versions, or Pokémon Bank anymore. So if you don't have a 3DS with those games on it now, you're out of luck.

Now, from the GBA games onwards, you can transfer Pokémon on to future games. So you can take a Pokémon from the GBA games and transfer it to the first DS games (Diamond/Pearl), and then on to the next set (Black/White). However, be aware that these are all one-way trips. You can't transfer Pokémon from the DS back to the GBA.

Now getting a Pokémon from the DS to the 3DS is a bit more complicated. You'll need a 3DS with two apps on it, Pokémon Bank, and Pokémon Transporter. If you don't, then you can't do this, because the 3DS eShop has shut down.

If you do have them, then Pokémon Transporter is what allows you to move Pokémon from the DS games (and the Virtual Console Game Boy games) to Pokémon Bank. By the way,

I think you're thinking of Pokémon Bank here. Some people assume that because the 3DS online servers have shut down, Pokémon Bank no longer works, but this isn't true. You can still use it. Now it will probably shut down sometime in the future. Nothing lasts forever, after all. But we don't when that will be yet.

Anyway, Pokémon Bank is a way for you to store Pokémon and move them between the 3DS games. And if you want to move those Pokémon on to one of the Switch games, then you'll also need Pokémon Home.

Pokémon Home is the Switch and mobile phone application that also lets you store Pokémon and move them between the Switch games. It also has other features, like letting you trade with other people, and keeping track of your National Pokédex completion. It also lets you transfer any Pokémon you have in Bank to Home.

However, and this is important, none of the Switch games allow you to have every Pokémon in one game. You can't "catch 'em all" in any of them, which means some Pokémon can't be moved to some games.

For example, Kecleon, the Pokémon you can see in my profile picture, can't be caught in any of the Switch games except Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. So you can't move it to, say, Scarlet/Violet. The game just won't allow it.

I think that covers all the important bits. It's a lot to take in, I know. So if you have any questions, let me know, and I'll try to explain it more.

6db_3.jpg

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Oh geez...

Genuinely that has made the most sense than when I read it elsewhere. Could I not get a code of Pokémon Red or Blue and download it that way or...by other means...

Then again, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee technically Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow remade Pokémon Go style? 

8 hours ago, Beast said:

Genuinely that has made the most sense than when I read it elsewhere. Could I not get a code of Pokémon Red or Blue and download it that way or...by other means...

Your only option for getting the VC releases of RBY and GSC now are either buying a second hand 3DS that already has them installed, or by piracy.

8 hours ago, Beast said:

Then again, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee technically Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow remade Pokémon Go style? 

You are correct, and Let's Go does have compatibility with Pokemon Home, so you could transfer them.

That being said, Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl has all of the first 150 Pokemon obtainable in-game anyway, there aren't any Pokemon that you can only get via Let's Go.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dcubed said:

That being said, Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl has all of the first 150 Pokemon obtainable in-game anyway, there aren't any Pokemon that you can only get via Let's Go.

Yup. This is true.

In fact, BD/SP have the first 490 Pokémon in them, which is why I said you don't need the games from before the 3DS era to have a complete Pokédex.

So if I was purely going for a complete Pokedex, Diamond and Pearl on the Switch is the way to go...

Sign in to follow this