NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Hideki Kamiya is leaving Platinum Games

8gQ1lCq.png

dFhi4r5.png

Unlimited sadness :(

I'm guessing that means that Project GG has been cancelled then.  Doesn't sound like an amicable split at all...

Wonder where Kamiya will end up next...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Wonder where Kamiya will end up next...

I'm not saying that they're planning on teaming up, but the fact that Kamiya announced he is leaving Platinum the same year that Mikami announced he is leaving Tango...definitely gets the mind racing a little at the possibilities. 

My gut instinct is that they might both go the Nagoshi route and set up shops for Net Ease/some other big Chinese gaming entity like Tencent. 

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

I'm guessing that means that Project GG has been cancelled then.  Doesn't sound like an amicable split at all...

Unfollowed them on Twitter too, apparently? So it really doesn't have great optics. 

Could be a case that he feels like he sees where Platinum is going and isn't in a position to be as creative as he maybe wants to be, seems to be the way the majority of these go :blank:

Yeah, NetEase does seem like the most likely candidate.  Chinese developers/publishers are just offering better pay & conditions than their Japanese counterparts right now, and all the big Japanese developers are suffering brain drain as a result.

For someone like Kamiya though? You’d think that every big Japanese giant would be tripping over themselves to throw money at the guy…

Still, I think he’ll want to remain as independent as possible, and I can’t see anyone other than NetEase being willing to let him establish a new studio on their dime.

Edited by Dcubed

So Kamiya has done the in-thing and has started a Youtube channel...

Right now, he's under a non-compete contract clause that prevents him from working in the games industry for the next 12 months... So he's currently spending his time bumming around and making homemade curry, while driving his Lambo to the job centre.

He won't say explicitly why he quit Platinum, but it basically sounds like he doesn't like where the company is heading with its push for GAAS and wants to carry on making traditional single player action games.

He's planning on continuing to make games after those 12 months are up, so he's not retiring (unlike Sakurai), and wants a company to pay him a totally reasonable $670,000 yearly salary for him to join.

He will also still block you on Twitter.

Sounds like he'll be alright :)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

He could save Resident Evil, but it's probably not in the cards. :blush:

I think the ex producers of RE like him know that the ship has already sailed from the dock.

Sign in to follow this